Start and park cars ??

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by dudley-1, Nov 16, 2009.

1. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Hey guys,what are yalls thoughts one the "start and park" guys in the cup and nationwide series...Same guys everyweek,make the field,,run a few laps and retire? They say they dont have funding to run the entire race.I heard a announcer say that it the nationwide car cost about the same as the cup car.Some of these guys show up each week,run the whole race and win 25 % of what a cup guy makes if he runs 5 laps..I heard a retired driver,now commontater say the start and park was taking from the sport instead of giving.. Just courious as what other fans think.

2. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've been wondering what was going on there too. From a fans' point of view, it probably sucks. Then from NASCARS' view, it doesn't seem quite fair to a race team that enters a race an retires by CHOICE rather than mechanical failure. This would cheat other teams out of a spot that might be better suited to the event.
    Now on the other hand, I heard someone on one of the NASCAR talk shows say that "If a driver entered all the races of a given season and finished DEAD LAST in every event, he would still make a MILLION BUCKS.
    Seems to me that's exactly what these start and park guys are up to. There's always somebody trying to take advantage of any system where money is involved.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Maybe NASCAR should let the government take over and if you dont have enough gas or need supplies then all of the other teams can just pitch in cause they have more than enough:wink::smile2:

In all reality they shouldnt be aloud to start if they dont have the funds or materials to finish IMO

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    At least NASCAR should give the guy that tries to make every race and the intention of running the whole race the nod before a start and parker.
    smokey

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you cant run the whole race dont enter.... not much differnt from a guy that is running the lead the whole race and wrecks in the last lap. he still doesnt get 99% of first place, he is out of the race...

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I really dont see too many other teams stepping up to the plate to enter and try to win. Usually there are 1-4 cars that go home after qualifying and most of them are on the same agenda of the "start and park" teams.

7. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I really don't understand the idea of being able to enter a race without enough funds to cover completing the race. How do you enter ANYTHING competetive being short of funds ? You don't order dinner out knowing you're "short of funds" There MUST be some sort of prior agreement involving entree fees or something.
    What amazes me even MORE......just TRY to get a complete NASCAR rules and regulations book......

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    nemechek and blaney have both made over $2 million. i know it costs a lot to run a race team, but if you can drive a hauler and crew all over the country you should at least run until half way and see how you are doing. one thing nascar needs to correct is the payout. i see all the time a car that finishes behind other cars and gets a lot bigger payout. the payout should be strictly by how you fisnish and whatever bonus there is for laps led.

9. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    When the current Admin. takes over NASCAR
    I can see it now....Drivers meeting: "Ok, guys. Some guys here don't drive well enough to win any races therefore they can't afford to run a full schedule. So, everyone in the top 15 in points is gonna be taxed 5.3% of his earnings so everyone can participate!!" Oh well, at least they will all have health insurance!:angry:

10. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    A mood point but how do you think JJ got 15 extra pionts when he wrecked.
    The start and park! Now if it was a better finish for Mark and Jeff and a poorer finish for JJ last week then we would see a real race this week.
    Now we will almost see JJ's version of start and ride.

11. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    But isn't the 'Start-n-Park' taking the green flag... the 'Start'... running however many laps that feel right by the 'start-n-parker'... then intentionally pulling off the track, 'limping' behind the wall and into the garage acting like something is wrong and knowingly and willingly killing the engine when there is absolutely nothing mechanically wrong with the car when they could be out on the track, excuse the misnomer, 'racing'? Yes, it is.

That's not what Jimmie Johnson did. As for us almost seeing JJ's version of the 'start-and-ride'... how many races has JJ won this year versus how many races any other driver has won? Numbers anyone?

Moot point.

But who knows... maybe the 48'll 'start-n-park' if the competition looks too strong or too scary. Then again he might not be intimidated by any of 'em and have a good car and a stong engine and just put everybody in his mirror... and keep em there.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009