Stargazers, don't miss the meteor shower. For the night owls.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  2. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bummer, don't think I'll get to see this one!:sad2:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the heads up.

I love a good metoer shower (I even try to schedule flathead fishing trips to coincide with them, so I can watch the sky while wainting for bites) but 1:40 tomorrow morning promises to be a bit early and cold for me. I predict I will be snuggled under a comforter sleeping about that time.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Anyone have a good camera to try and capture some of this?

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have a camera but it probably won't do too good. I'd say I'll be up,haven't hardly slept in over a week except a cpl hours a day.
    Thanks for the info, I'll try to get pics!:wink:

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cameras, stars, meteors, night owls, sleepless in Seattle. Ok, I took a short course today on camera manipulation, Cheryl. I learned how to pick it up. even went to Wal-Mart and bought a cheap case for it so I don't have to look at it. Scares what little liver I got left out of me. Still can't find out how to put the film in it. If I see a shooting star, I will first make sure it ain't aliens, or Hillary leaving Iowa for New Hampshire in a rocket, or incoming from China. I will raise my hands make a box with my fingers to frame it and then reach for my camera.

Then what do I do? Send it to National Geographic? I'll give it a try.

John

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Film???!??:wink:

Are you sure about that, John?

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the heads up but I'll be staying inside by the heater.

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Reckon I'll have to tape it... I can't stay up that late... or get up that early:smile2:

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx for the heads up! I'll more then likely be up so I'll take a look. I hope I dont freeze my hoohaa off. smokey

11. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Cheryl,
    thanks for the info, but..........if I see stars at 1:40 AM, it's because I fell into the dresser on my way to get another beer! Let us know how it was.
    Jamie:eek:oooh:

12. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Hey, it's chillier than usual, but I'll be out there!

Mik:big_smile:

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mickey,

It was this morning. I'm trying to find pics on the net now.

Take care.

Cheryl

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I went out around 12:30. Being old, I needed to retire to a warm bed, so I was hoping to see at least one. Eyes being old too, thought I saw one, but not sure.
    Re-reading the article, I guess I should have tried to look again right before dawn?

Anyway, after standing outside in the cold teen temps, my nose started to drip, and I gave up. Here is one link I finally found of a few pics. The gentleman has made them into posters, but has the wrong date on the first one.

http://spaceweather.com/submissions...rey-Berkes-Jeff-Berkes-Meteor3_1199433262.jpg

Did anyone get to see any of them?

:sad2:

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cheryl, I would liked to have seen it but it was after my bed time. Also think it was too cloudy here.

16. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    MY 8yo got a Telescope for Christmas from his Great Grandma.. Can't wait for a warm summer nite for us to go gazing at the stars...

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I know what you mean Cheryl. I went out a l'il before 2 am, fully equipped with my glasses and two pairs of binoculars (one with a digital camera inside, which I have no idea how to operate - but I was gonna try :confused2:). It was bright and clear here, and I did do a bit of stargazing.....but as far as the meteor shower went, didn't see a thing! Of course I only managed about 20 minutes out there. A flannel gown, fleece robe, wool socks and slippers only keep ya warm so long at 15 degrees :crazy:. So it was either retire or re-outfit in thermal gear, and that warm bed won out.

Tim, I gifted my sis and her family with a telescope a few years back for Christmas. Recently when I was visiting with them, I saw it had been put away in the attic storage area. So next time I go down to the eastern part of NC to see 'em, it's comin' home with ME :cool2:.