Starcraft project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BIG_D, Sep 17, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    got the old girl home today o yea

she is a 14 ft. 1964 starcraft simi.V. in very good shape has ben garage kept it has a 1974 johnson 6Hp. the inside looks like brand new has about 40hrs on it.
    my plans for this project is to floor and carpet it to keep nois down plus i just plain want it lol thinking 3 swivel seats not realy got all my plans figerd out yet it is solid white:tounge_out: think i will two tone it leave lower part white and paint uper part hunter green
    i will add pics as it progresses and some befor i start so you all can see the changes i have said it many times i love old boats and this one is worthy of the tlc gota come up with a classy name for her.:wink:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Look forward to viewing your upgrades. Good luck.

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Same here Bro.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got a boat similiatr to that I call her "Titantic" . Good boat.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    instead of seat pedastals i was thinking of making boxes for the seats this way i could store stuff under the seats to keep down on clutter i will also leave boxes loos so thay can be moved around what do ya think

6. ae_ted

ae_ted Guest

I just finished redoing a 14' Jon boat that was give me. I was poor and blessed to get it. The rear bench seat had been removed and a floor(rotted when i got it) with a wood pedestal with storage . I thought about putting a aluminum floor in with a pedestal but went with a spider pedestal with seat. this is simply a stool with wide legs and a swivel and chair. worked great! good luck on your project!

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well finished cleaning up garage today and got the old boat guted will post some pics next up is taking her off the trailor

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    pics of the old girl with the bench seats took out

Attached Files:

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    took her off the trailor hear is a few pics to show all the fun sanding i get to do :sad2::sad2:after the sanding is done i am going to seal all seams just to make sher she dont leak rivets are good and tight so i think i am good to go thear

Attached Files:

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    hear is some pics of the trailer it is a cobled up ugly mess the grinder is going to get a work out on this thing

Attached Files:

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    look at this cobbled up crap 1st pic dident try to shape the pice of steel at all so it would look like it belongs :sad2: pic 2 same thing just left steel sticking out from under bunk board come on cut the extra steel off lol this kinda thing drives me nuts lol there is extra steel sticking up and out that serves no purpas at all o well it will give me some thing to do and gripe about this winter lol i will grind it all in shape best i can and hide it under a nice white paint job :wink:

Attached Files:

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    finished taking trailer apart today and got some of the useless steel ground off still more grinding to do hear are a few pics of it all apart i am not going to bore you for a wile with updates on the trailer next time you see it it will have a nice white paint job :cool2: till next time

Attached Files:

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    most of the grinding work on the trailer is done started doing some wire brush and sanding today geting it ready for primer got lots to do still befor i can get it all primed all the ugly useless steel is gone after lots of grinding and two grinding wheels:eek:oooh::tounge_out::tounge_out:

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    That's some nice suspension on that trailer. Mine is in much better condition, but it's the standard straight axle w/ leafs.

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i like the suspention pretty good on this trailer it pulls good dont even know its behind the ol van its reely light got 90% of it in primer now have changed my mind on the color i am going with green instead of white top part of boat will be green so i thout green trailer and white wheels would look good togather

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    havent did any work on the trailer in a few days did get it in primer all exsept the stuff i have striped off that is next on the list

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i have about a day's worth of work on the trailer till i get some supply's got to wire brush all the bolts finish cleaning one wheel strip the fenders well mabe two days lol got to clean and repack bearings i am gona hold of on painting the trailer fixing to move on to the boat for a bit bin doing lots of reading on painting aluminum boats there is a thing called roll and tip painting and this is what i am going to do all it is you roll your paint on with a foam roller and go back and lightly brush it with a good brush or a diff foam roller to get all air bubbles out i have seen it done on boats and it looks like a spray job if done right we will see in the next few month's will try and remember to take a few pics of trailer tomorrow it dont look like the crap pile i started with

18. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well its gonna be great! i know it!

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Dallas....Did you consider sandblasting that frame? That's what I'd do, a heck of a lot quicker and you'll get down to bare metal and end up with a whole lot better looking primer/paint job.

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Skip i sanded that sucker down to bare metal lol you are right sand blasting would have bin faster but i got more time than moola lol