Star drag vs. dial drag ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, Jun 18, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Which is the "better" drag set up; the star drag or the dial drag ? On spincast reels like zebco 808 and 888. Or are they equal ? -Thanks

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would have to go with the star drag to me they seem to be a lot smoother and not as "jerky" when a fish is pulling drag. But then agian I guess it all depends on the man with the rod in his hand and what he is use to fishing with.

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's been a "few" years since I have "played" with either and it may turn out to be a "personal preference" thing but I've always preferred Star drag to dial. I always felt like I had a better quality setup and less problems, but then again, that may have just been my personal experience. Dunno.
    Hope this helps a bit.:smile2:
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I prefer the star drag over the dial drag, mostly because you actually have leverage to tighten it if you want to. With the dial drag (or at least any that I have seen) they are all built into the spool, and you can just push them with your finger, making it hard to actually set the drag really tight if you need it. With a star drag as long as your fingers have the strength to set the drag, you can do it. Not only that, but I find it faster to adjust a star drag too.

5. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    ya im gonna have to go with barbel, becuase for me i almost thinks it gives me a sence of control on my reel. definitely star drag

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you disassemble both,you will find that most have the same drag.The star and the dial are just different ways of actuating it.There were a few made from time to time that were different.Both are hooked to a threaded rod and a spring to keep you from tightening it down till something breaks.The difference is in the personal preference.peewee-williams

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    One thing to remmeber is to loosen drag as spool winds down. the diameter of spool is decreased with less ine and the drag increases on line. Just like gear reduction ratio smaller gear harder to turn with same size lever.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    .The above is a great reminder!The above is why(I have read) some of the pro's competing in offshore tournaments carefully set their drags at 25% of their line rating with a large full spool.That being said.They seldom have to worry about cover,and are in a custom boat with a professional crew to help them recover line when needed.This is seldom available when cat fishing,unless you are in the middle of a large exceptionally clean lake,with a custom boat and professional crew.I remember reading somewhere that 24 lbs,of drag was about the maximum that professional stand up fishermen(guys that train for and regularly compete) can handle in long fights with 130 class line.You get tired,you make more mistakes,you lose more fish.We may have some former offshore competitors on here that know for sure.peewee-williams