Star Craft Boats : Holy Grail of catfishing rivers?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfish_Commando, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anyone own a Star Craft boat? What has your experience been with mechanical issues or problem areas? Appreciate any input that you may have.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tomahawk has a Starcraft C Star. It's a nice deep V. It's the second one that he's had. I fished with him in both the old and new Starcrafts and like them enough that I plan to get me a new one in 2006. It has plenty of floor space so you have lots of room for rods and bait tank. I know other people that have had Starcrafts and liked them too.

3. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Bream baiter,

Thanks for the input! I was looking at the floor plans on those models, and I like the way they put the controls to the front of the boat. Like you said, plenty of floor space.

Post some pictures of your new boat when you get it, I would be very interested in seeing it.

Thanks,
    Paul

4. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    What is your estimated cost for your rig going to be?

5. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Wipes Drool From Chin :wub:

The Star Craft C-Star, the boat in question.

Opinions Good or Bad?

Attached Files:

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i've got a 71' starcraft with original motor still works and looks like new. the steering wheel in the front is by far the best feature

7. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Fishingjunky,

Thanks for the input on durability. I was kind of concerned that it was riveted in this day and age of all-welded construction.

Paul

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey paul star craft and smoker craft are made by the same people. check out the smoker craft american angler, sportsmen 18 or 20 great floor plan lots of room. i have a like on my web site for them.

9. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I had a Starcraft.stern tiller 14' that I inherited from my Dad.It had a Mercury 20 hp motor on it.Guess it was made in the late 70's.Used it on some really wild water on the Long Island sound.Also in the spring run off on the Ct.River. Very dry and safe boat.Was built with plank seats.Gave it to my Son last year,and he is using it regularily to this day.Hit some logs floating downstream in the river and never had a problem with any leaks.Heavy aluminum is the key to a good metal boat ,and the Starcraft is a great example of good construction. Even took it out to the race in the L.I. sound.Some 16' and 18' boats would'nt take the abuse of that water but the Starcraft took it with flying colors.
    I just bought a used Mirrocraft 16' here in Fl.w/60hp mariner engine.I only hope that it will give the service the old Starcraft did.Good luck with the new boat.Thumbs up for it here.
    Bill

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    My buddy has a 78'star craft. It is a deep V haul. It is a 18 ft with 5ft beam. It is a dream too fish in. We use it mainley in saltwater. In my opinion, it is a very sound boat. It has a bunch of fishing room. It has a 60hp evenrude outboard. Since it is made out of alluminum, it is lighter we get better gas milage.
    One time, the bilge pump got clogged up and we started taking alot of water. I say we were about six miles from the harbor. WE got back to the launch ramp ok.
    What I like about the star craft is it rides the waves it takes swells with no problem. I never been seasick either; very stable.

Jaime

11. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Paul, I have a 2000 Smokercraft. It is roughly the same floor plan as the one you posted. It is 16' w/a 7' beam. Plenty of room for 2 persons to fish a large river out the back. I have a rod holder setup mounted across the back that has 6 driftmasters comfortable mounted. It is powered by a 50 HP Johnson. WOT is around 30 mph. I enjoy it very much.

12. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Appreciate the input guys. Sounds like this style and general line of boats is serving many well.

I will check out the other brands mentioned and see what it does to the cost estimate :eek:

Thanks,
    Paul

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Paul, I have a 1979 starcraft 14 ft v-hull with a 15 hp johnson. The previous owner bought it all new as a package deal in 79. It's tiller steer. I fish in the Ohio river with my brother in it with me all the time and it does great. I like the heavy gauge of the aluminum and the design. It's never leaked yet and it is of a riveted construction. Good luck with your new boat when yo get it, Vern

14. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Paul,I have a 18 ft starcraft deep V and it is a very dependable boat and is as good now as it was new,takes heavy water real good and has a shallow draft,I have a 90 hp evenrude motor on it and it moves real well,I would recomend starcraft to anybody,never had a problem with rivots or seams in any way

15. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for your input guys! I am starting to like Star Craft more and more. :)

16. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I do have to say startcraft boats have the most room. I have a sidecousel 16'6 model with a 75hp 4 stroke on it. So far I don't have too many complaints. I just don't like the carpet flooring. With catfishing it's losing battle trying to keep it unstained. The boat with a swing trailer ran me about $16,000.

17. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Tomahawk,

How do you think your 75 HP moves your boat?

Thanks,
    Paul

18. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I can get up to 45mph. I never topped it out yet. I really don't need to go that fast. The 75hp does real well, since it's a four stroke it has excellent gas milage. The boat also takes waves very well. Here's a hint when fish take all the seats out, except the drivers seat. That way you gout all the room you want. If your partner needs to sit down they can sit on the rod box. I got a mercury 75hp, no comp[laints yet.

19. Catfish_Commando

State:
    Georgia
    Doc,

Post(s) removed as per your request. I do appreciate the input on your boat!

20. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Paul,

I'm running a 2001 Smokercraft Millentia, 20 foot long 8 foot wide merc 125 Saltwater on the back, boat is built like a tank, it's rivited but I have hit a lot of stuff with it and no problems so far put a keelshield on it after you posted intructions a few years back, the inside layout is great plenty of room, some of the guys on the board have seen the boat down at the Cumberland, heres a picture of the inside after new carpeting. I can keep this boat very clean inside by just taking it to the carwash and spraying it down, but I'm not worried about it's appearence, I own it to catch hogs, there was an engineering error when they layed out the carpet in the boat, I brought it up to the factory and they honored my request and recovered the back section with new carpet, warrented the work, I'm pleased with there customer service and how they have handled any small problems with the boat.

Carpet Job