Standout Hooks for Crappie?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Cliffcat, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone tried the "standout" hooks for crappie? Bought some at Cabela's the other day was was thinking about trying them with minnows, crawlers, or leeches. Any idea's or suggestions? If you have the Bass Pro 2006 catalog, their shown on page 221 or you can search for them on the 'net'.

Ralph

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those stand out hooks are actually designed to be drop shot fished. And yes they will work for Crappie.

Tie them on with a palomar knot and leave a long tag end of 12-18 inches depending on the depth you want to fish. On the tag end, tie a small weight or put a couple of split shot on the bottom of it. Those hooks need some weight below them to hold them out as they are designed. Keep your line taut and just touch the bottom with the weight you have on the end of the tag end. The strike will often feel like your rig became weightless, it's more of a non-strike feeling. When in doubt, lift your line to see if you feel the weight of your sinker or if you can feel the fish.

Use small minnows for bait and just hook them through the nose so they stand out horizontally. Just a slight jiggle of the rod tip will make the minnow dance and the Crappie won't be able to resist. Use a minimal hook set so you don't rip the hook out of the delicate mouth of the Crappie.

3. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    CatHound:

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, was aware of drop shotting usage for bass etc. Your suggestion of small minnows and the technique you describe sounds great. Looking forward to trying it out on crappie. Glad you mentioned the 'no-weight' feeling. I'll try to look for that. Any preference of mono vs. fireline or spiderwire type line?

Ralph

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I am drop shotting or jigging, I typically use a copolymer line (hybrid of mono and flouro) for water that is less than about 30 feet deep. When it gets deeper than that, I'll go to a Braided line for the sensitivity and no stretch factors. But even then, I'll usually have a copoly or straight flouro line for my leader.