Stand Your Ground Test Your Skills

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by michiganwhitetailRLM, Jun 18, 2006.

1. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I've Heard And Seen People Do A Whole Lot Of Things To Prepare For A Hunt. I've Tried Quite A Few Of Them But Always Go Back To The Basics. All My Hunting Clothes Are Washed In Scent Free, Dye Free Detergent With About 2 Cups Of Baking Soda. None Of My Camo Or Undergarments Are Worn Until I Get Out Of My Truck. I Have Hunted From Tree Stands And Ground Blinds But Seen To Have The Best Luck By Simply Finding A Spot Between Bedding Area And A Feeding Area And Setting Up An Ambush. Scent Free Body, Scent Free Camo And The Wind Blowing In The Right Direction Allows Me A Good Clean Kill Shot At, Sometimes, Under 10 Yds. With My Bow And The Deer Literally Looking Me Right In The Eyes. The Adrenaline Is Unbelievable And I Hope When I Get Older My Heart Can Take It. So When I Say Stand Your Ground, And Test Your Skills, I Mean Just You, Your Camo, Your Weapon, And Something To Break Up Your Background And If The Wind Is Right And You Know The Pattern Of The Herd, You Are Guaranteed A Deer Everytime. So Forget The Tree Stands And The Fancy Ground Blinds And Stand Your Ground To Test Your True Skills. Good Hunting. Rick

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I'm new to deer hunting, but one of the first things I was told was to play the wind & keep your scent down to a minimum. I've learned much, but have MUCH more to learn about being a good deer hunter & I look forward to it! :cool2:

Eric

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    You are right about that. I have killed more deer sitting at the base of a tree with a shotgun than from fancy box stands or anything else for that matter.

4. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    Beliver,you said that you are just learning.By the looks of the deer in the back of your truck,I'd say you are a fast learner.that sled can be a back saver.LOL congradulations

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Rick it sounds like you are doing the wright things. I hunt on the ground too.
    The only thing I do different is I put my hunting cloths in a garbage bag and spray them with a little coon pee and tie the bag. "Warning" If you try this
    Do not turn the heater on in your truck. If you do you can't stand yourself. LOL

6. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    curdog, I Also Keep My Hunting Clothes And Gear In Heavy Duty Plastic Bags . I Also Sprinkle A Little Baking Soda Into The Bags Before I Seal Everything In A Big Plastic Tub . Cover Scents Dont Seem To Work For Me Though, I Hunt High Pressured Public Land So The Deer Are Always A Bit More High Strung. I Spend As Much Time As Possible Trying To Pattern The Deer I Plan On Hunting. Doing This Has Allowed 90% Of My Kills To Be Less Than 15 Yrds, From The Ground. I Wish I Could Bottle The Feeling That Comes From Close Shots Like That, It Would Be The Drug Of Choice By Everyone!!!lol Thanks For The Input Brother! Rick

7. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Don't worry about your heart NOT being able to take the "rush." I'm 61 and I still react to a deer at ten yards the same as 45 years ago. Only I don't miss as many as I used to. Besides that extra activity in your heart will keep all that nasty chorlesteral from settleing. Most sporting goods sales people don't like to hear the words "keep it simple." I'm glad to hear there are others that feel this way about a great sport.

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was turkey hunting last year sitin under a tree right before dawn and I see something walking toward me but I couldnt make it out. I stayed still till it got closer and closer it was a armadilo and it was about 10 feet away from me still coming so I stayed as still as i could. Now 5 feet away my heart is pounding and its still coming the thing is about 2 foot away I feel like im gonna explode and its still coming at me but it doesnt see me thanks Real Tree. Belive it or not this armadilo climbed over my legs and countinued walking and never knew I was there talk about a rush. Well about an hour later i called in 5 turkeys 4 hens and one 17lb Tom. I heard them commin from about a mile away calling back to me. I called them in it took about 30 mins before i could see them about 100 yards away from me then the heart pounding began again as the moved closer and closer when they were about 30 feet from me i sure was glad i had took my blood pressure meds that morning cause i would had a stroke needless to say i killed the Tom at about 20 feet away from me he was looking right at me!

9. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    its Great To Hear Other Stories Of Up Close And Personal Hunts Like These. I Know Ill Still Be Releasing Arrows For As Long As I Can Stand On My Own Two Feet. Im Only 35 So It Gives Me A Ways To Go.i Can Talk About Ground Hunting Forever, And Boy Do I Have Some Awesome Stories To Share But Sometimes I Wish A Video Camera Was There To Catch It On Tape. Im Getting My Wife In The Woods This Fall So She Can Feel The Rush Through The Eye Of A Camera. Ive Got 5 Kids And Theyve All Been Hunting With Me,one At A Time Of Corse,and Its Great Teaching Them All I Know. Anybody With Whitetail Questions Can Pm Me Anytime, Rick

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    michiganwhitetailrlm what methods do you use to pattern the deer you are hunting without spreading human scent in the woods? most of the time i know where im going to hunt six months before season comes in but when hunting deer clubs and public lands there is always someone in the wood scouting for opening day the day before season opens. ive had several location messed up due to this problem. now i find it better to just come in the back door so to speak and let every one push deer to me. im with you on the scent control but there has been a lot of big bucks killed by people smoking a cigarette. boy if they could sell luck in a bag. then they would have something.

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    The less you smell the les they smell. When order and wind are a problem I just roll up the window of the truck(just kidding). There is something special about getting out there and doing it clean

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

12. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    Catfishrus, Here In Lapeer Michigan The Hunting Pressure Is So Intense On Public Land You Got To Have A Few Backup Plans. We Have A Lot Of State Game So Ill Start By Grabbing A Thermos Of Coffee And Cruising The Dirt Roads Of The State Game Area At First Daylight. Ill Start This Around August 21 . Deer Will Change There Patterns As The Seasons Progress, But Up Untill The Rut They Are Pretty Regular With Their Daily Rutine. Once Youve Found A Herd With A Few Nice Bucks, Stay On Them, But Only Watch ,record And Study There Behavior From At Least 100yrds . Anything Closer Will Put You At Risk Of Spooking The Herd And Forcing Them To Change Their Patterns.i Watched A Group Of 13 Deer Last Year For About 5 Weeks. Once Bow Season Opened It Only Took About 3 Days For Them To Change Their Daily Ways. I Didnt See The Bucks All Week So I Sat In My Truck One Night Only To Watch Deer Activity, And See If They Still Came Through The Same Spots To Cross The Road. Can U Believe These Deer Were Crossing No More Than 40yrds From Where Everyone Parked ! All The Hunters Head For The Hardwoods In My Area Of Choice So I Picked A Spot Between My Vehicle And The Other Hunters. The Deer Had To Pass By Me To Get To Their Feeding Area. I Arrowed A Nice 6 Point At 12yrds And A 193# Doe From 6yrds Both From The Same Spot ,hunting From The Ground! Youde Be Amazed How Much Csn Be Learned From The Cab Of Your Truck, And You Dont Have To Worry About Leaving "your" Scent Anywhere.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    okay i take it you may have some open ground to hunt in your area to study the deer somewhat. here it is big blocks of woods with clearcuts mixed in with big woods area. some of the best deer hunting areas here are better suited for rabbit hunting. im with on the ground hunting. you dont have to go in to the areas to put up the new/best thing on the market in a tree. besides around here they dont last long anyways because of the theives. i hear alot of folks talking about deer sign in the woods. they are looking for the biggest buck rubs and scrapes in the woods to hunt over. from my experience them rubs dont mean much because he could have been traveling. the scrapes are only good for a few days in most cases. when buck meets doe its all over. i like the travel routes and the escape doors myself.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    michiganwhitetailRLM

Im right there on the ground with you! especially since someone stole my treestand the other year. I always prefered setting up inside the tops of blow down trees. I had my closest encounter with a big 8 that way in archery season when I forgot to take the doe scent drag off my boot. He came running within spitting distance of me stopped and jumped back. starting circling while I was at full draw trying to figure out what I was and where the doe was and I was shaking so bad I missed him by a mile.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt from a stand, from home made blinds, from the ground, from the creek bed and anywhere else I think I can get a shot without the deer knowing I'm there. I've taken over 125 deer with the same $12 recurve bow( about 300 deer total) and all but about 6 bow kills have been under 20 yards, most under 30 feet. I don't go for all the new gimicks. I use Ivory soap, keep my hunting cloths in a garbage bag with cedar or pine branches, or just dirt from my hunting area. The best advice I can give any hunter, new or old, is stay downwind of the deer. No matter what you use to eliminate scent, you have to breath! If you breath, a deer can smell it no matter what you do. That "Trick" has been working for thousands of years and it still works today. Commercial hunters almost wiped out all the deer in this country after staying in the woods for weeks with no bath, no scent blocker, no GPS, etc., they just stayed down wind.

16. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    i Agree With Staying Down Wind, Thats Definately The Biggest Thing To Know Being A Deer Hunter. Ive Learned The Hard Way Not To Waste My $$$$$ On All The Crap Inside The Sporting Goods Dept. All My Deer Have Been Taken From The Ground But One, Only Because Of My Close Attention To Wind Direction. The State Game I Hunt Can Be Really Crowded. I Found A Guy In My Treestand One Time And He Tried Saying It Was His,i Just About Had To Fist Fight W/ Him To Leave. Even W/ The Crowds I Beat The Odds And Fill My Tags Each Season, Mostly Due To Continuos Scouting. There Are Some Areas Of Open Ground But There Are Strips Of Trees Around Them That Provide My Ambush Spots. The Deer Use Them As Cover So There Not Seen Until Almost Dark, They Dont Have Any Other Choice Wich Becomes Their Biggest Mistake And I Take Full Advantage Of There Routine.