Stainless steel bolts

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by justwannano, Jun 27, 2009.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    In my newest adventure with my boats transom I used stainless steel bolts. 42 of them. Got a few bucks in them but they don't rust so I decided to try them.
    Some may remember in my last years "how to" thread I used 1/4" button head socket bolts. I was told they were hard so , since hard bolts don't rust as quickly as soft, they would be a good choice. Well I got rust quickly so I changed to SS.
    Everything went quite well except yesterday 1 of them had a nut freeze and had to be cut off. Today 2 more seized and 1 had to be cut off after the allen wrench broke and I twisted another off. I have another that won't tighten and will probably have to be cut off.
    WTH is happening here?
    SS bolts and SS nuts. I'm sure I didn't overtighten them.Its kinda hard to overtighten with a allen wrench.
    Any Ideas?

have a good 1
    just

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Maybe a dab of anti seize or a little silicone to keep garbage out of the threads?

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They make a never seize for stainless. I think it is blue label. It has nickel in it.
    I never run stainless bolts or nuts fast. I just take my time so I don't generate heat in the process.
    It's very easy to gauld stainless threads.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I hadn't thought about gaulding.
    I probably have them all gaulded now. :angry:
    Well its back to the steel bolts until I can replace the SS next winter.
    Thanks
    just

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Stainless steel is notorious for galling. We use a lot of stainless steel fasteners on the rafters of our water towers and several other applications. Once they gall, it is over. They aint coming back apart.

Google "fastorq". It is the best anti galling compound for stainless steel period. We use the Fastorq A/G.

6. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    I never use stainless nuts and bolts together. They can and do gaul even when putting together for the first time. I would, and do, use stainless bolts and washers,and zink plated nuts. The zink will rust over time, but I have never had one seize. I worked in heavy industry for 25 years. Some old timer taught me about stainless. I paint the zink after a few weeks outside, use a q-tip for controlled paint application. Ny-lock zink plated nuts--- the good stuff. Good luck

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    jetlube makes a product called nikal you can try that

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There is a product called "Tef-Gel", It will prevent any type of disimiliar metal corrosion from occuring.

9. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I work in the fastener industry and would suggest using a little anti seize to help lubricate while putting the nuts on. The other thing you might want to check into would be using a higher grade of stainless like 316 which is last longer in marine applications.

10. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    try using dissimilar grades, one grade for the nut, another for the bolt. It is always harder to weld dissimilar metals.

11. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use Grade 8 bolts hands down the best bolt . They are the gold bold.