Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The argument can be made for use of either. Bronze rust easily and if you have your line break will rust away in couple of weeks. Hopefully fish wont die. Stainless on other hand dont seem as sharp to me. Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I use bronze when fishing in lakes. And I use stainless in rivers. the bronze don't seem as strong to me and the lakes I fish here do not produce the big fish that I use stainless to catch.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i always use stainless, and sharpen them if they aren't sharp enough right out of the box. i don't use bronze anything anymore, because they bend too easily and rust real quick. you can throw a few grains of silica gel in each of your hook compartment to combat this, but the strength issue is always an issue!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
what is it the black ones are like gamma circles, nickel plated i think. i perfer them they stay sharp and the points usually dont bend. yea nickel plated:wink:

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
I have allways used stainless,till a few years ago,I switched because of the thought of a fish swimming around with a hook in it that wouldnt rust away.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Bronze all the way, even when I used to fish in Florida a lot. I've never liked the stainless or chromed hooks for anything. Well, I guess I should say I like dull colored hooks, as some hooks have a black or blue finish.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I dont keep any fish anymore these days. Its not a political thing or for any other reason, I actually prefer salt water fish at my table or salmon which arent native to Las Vegas. If anyone wants to keep a few eaters thats just fine with me, as long as they dont go to waste. I wont use stainless hooks because I feel the fish will die due to stress because it will not dislodge. Thats my story and Im sticking to it. :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.