Stabilizing small boats for bigger water

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Phil Washburn, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Several years ago i had a 12 foot 2-man fiberglass bass boat that i wanted to put on the arkansas river. altho it was pretty decent for its size, in rough water it was dangerous. my fishing buddy at the time weighed over 250. it doesn't take a genius to imagine what that boat looked like with both of us in it. it rode low in the water.

i got to thinking about how to improve that problem. i went to the local plumbing store and bought two 10 foot sections of 10 inch pvc. i also bought 4 caps to cap the ends. i capped the ends and then glued them to the boat at the water line. the rtv did a good job of holding them in place with no problems.

after taking the boat out on its maiden run after installing the pipe, i had to do something about the water that the flat end of the pcv plowed while under way. i went to wally world and got a couple of cheap funnels and glued them on - that made it much more hydro-dynamic.

the difference in flotation and stability was incredible. it made the boat able to go on much rougher water than before. as a matter of fact, i caught my biggest cat on the arkansas using that boat.

a few months down the road i sold the 2-man and bought a 14 foot jon boat.
    i performed the same operation on it. a little harder to fasten the pipe to it, as the jon boat is curved. i used big hose clamps to hold it front and back, then applied some rtv down the center. it made such an improvement in stability.

i thought about this as i was reading about a couple of 10 boats here.
    it is cheap, and VERY effective. a couple of tips if you consider doing this. first, it makes a pretty boat ugly, and an ugly boat uglier. second, don't get carried away when you put them on as you may have to reposition them for optimum effect. too much adhesive on first effort makes it hard to move them. also, don't make the mistake i did of using too small a diameter of pvc. i started with 6 inch and it wasn't enough.

2. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Thats sounds really ggod. Did you have any problems with your boat fitting on your trailor?

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    it made it wider but neither of my boat trailers had side guides/rails so it didn't affect loading at all.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now allow me to state the obvious here: this doesn't make a 10 foot jon boat an ocean-going vessel. however, it will make it practically unsinkable. those tubes hold a LOT of air. and if you ever develope a leak in one, just drill a little hole in the bottom to let the water out...then simply squirt a little rtv in the hole after it drains and you're seaworthy once again.

5. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just bought me a 14 foot fiberglass boat and I'm not a very small guy but this has definately got me thinking.

6. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    i don't suppose you have any pics of these do you? I have a 14 ft seaking, and with me and either of my fishing buddies being 250 pounds or so, add on a trolling motor and a 9.9 merc with a gas tank, we ride very low. Any chop on the water and i'm on pins and needles.

7. Capt. Hugh

Capt. Hugh New Member

State:
    VA
    Great idea, I have a 14 narrow jon i use on ponds, with my brother and I close to 600 lbs. , very tippy, I'm going to put them on mine thanks Capt. Hugh

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    God gave man fear as we have no common sense.The above post show that we often knowingly,willingly go into danger and do something about it later.When we feel that we are in danger,we usually are.You/we all knew we were wrong to take that chance.I was raised on the water.I have helped search for and retrieve the bodies of many people who took the chances you and I took.Their family's deserved better.So do ours.I don;t know why,but most of us seem to "Get It" far better after seeing what 3 to 30 days immersed in the water does to someone you know.This boat modification is great for stability and load capacity.Will it allow your boat to survive the waves of a sudden thunderstorm,or the wakes of larger vessels on the waters you fish?How will filling with water affect it?The heavy wide stable boats that were advertised as "Unsinkable"and "self bailing" were great,but gave many a false sense of security that caused the death of many.When waves start breaking over a boat,they can and often do wash everything inside overboard,including people.That rubber gas line will not keep your gas can attached to your motor when it is washed overboard in a storm.These type boats have been found swept clean many times over the years.They will also destruct due to the bottom pounding in shallow water and breakers.The huge weight of the motors on many boats leave them dangerous in rough water and completely helpless if the motor fails.Please do not mistake stability for safety,though it does add to it.The pontoon boats are stable.The faith in this stability has endangered many.I am alive by the grace of God,not by my common sense that I lack.This has never been and is still no excuse when we know better.We do not have the right to risk harm to our families,and that is what we are doing when we indanger ourselves.I love you Brothers and Sisters.That is why I posted this.peewee

9. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    thanks for the post peewee. I agree, tho, luckily, i've never seen a body pulled from a body of water, but i def don't want it to be me or my buddies body that someone does see. The waters i fish aren't usually too rough, just a little more stability would add comfort to my worries. At any time i've seen or even felt a storm may come, i trailer up and bank fish.

10. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 10 footer im gonna do this to. I was thinking about making them clamp on so it will fit in the bed of my truck and to loose the extra drag when motoring around. ill prob just use 6 inch since the boat is so small. I havent had the boat out in 10 years but i do remember it being a little scary. I think my wife would be petrified lol.

11. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think that is a great idea. I am still a little confused, though. Can I get some pics of the boat after you installed them? Sorry for the trouble.

12. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Actually my boat is 12 ft but very narrow(32 in at bottom). I have been experimenting with empty 2 liters and I think it will work great and be very light with an aluminum frame. I may have to use the big 3 liters from Sams. Ill post some pics soon.

13. Skitterfish

Skitterfish New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I would also like to see some pics of this setup. It sounds like it would work well on my 12ft aluminum thats a bit like walking on ball bearings some times.

14. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I actually watched two guys in a very small jon boat one night sink. They were coming in and almost at the ramp when they went down. The boat was loaded down, looked to be just a few inches from the surface. The water was not rough it was a small wake from another boat that got them. They made it to shore but looked like they lost a lot of gear. There was some people on shore laughing at them. It was kind-of funny like a video from americas home video, but i was glad no one was hurt. They should have use a little more common sense and that would have been prevented. ALWAYS check the boat id tag it will generally tell you how may passengers and the weight restriction.

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i don't have any pics from my previous boats, but i am going to do it again to a 14 foot jon boat very soon. i will post pics when i get it done.

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Bring her over to "Kerr" phil for a test run..:wink::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

17. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    So.. the concept is kinda like adding some pontoons on it?

18. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    It would be sweet to have the ends screw off and keep poles inside them for traveling with a locking mechinism! But still keep it water tight.