Stabbed by a catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by karensalina, Jun 19, 2009.

1. karensalina

karensalina New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I received my first battle wound today when a catfish I was compassionately trying to release flipped around in my hand and let me know who was boss. I had just recently become brave enough to Rambo my way through releasing a fish without using gloves, and this fish speared the palm of my hand without hesitation. Philosophically, I guessed I deserved it since he did, after all, injest my hook through his mouth and out his eye. So I was patient with him, but I did put on my glove to finish setting him free. Who would ever guess a catfish wound could sting so bad and bleed so long? (I was actually glad it was bleeding copiously, though, reasoning that it would reduce the chance of infection)
    It's all better now. Like it never even happened.
    The fish is free and I am back to being a sissy who wears gloves. :roll_eyes:
    Caught 5 fish today!!

2. groundsquirrel

groundsquirrel New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I bet you dont do that again!

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mom you are an artist in words...you always give me a chuckle!

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    And welcome to the BOC Scott!!:wink:

5. fishlikeagirl

fishlikeagirl New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mom

I hope it gets to feeling better soon! I bet that hurt real bad! :embarassed:

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Karen, congratulations on your "initiation" to the club:wink:. Many stings, in many places, still no gloves:smile2:. My worst was under my kneecap, trying to think how I'd get it out, he jumped again and pulled it out:eek:oooh::smile2:. When I get stuck, I rub the hole on the Cat that "done it", stinging stops, quits bleeding too. No ill effects in the last 20 some years, or course, I drink a lot of beer which helps, the foam helps coagulate around the hole:roll_eyes::smile2::smile2:

7. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Just a few days ago a yellow bullhead stuck me in side of the finger and out the other before breaking his spine free leaving it embedded in my finger. I am still very swolen and can't move the two fingers close to it. I'm a little shy unhooking one now. Guess which fish got skinned first.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    A catfish fins get more rounded and not as sharp the bigger he gets.
    Smaller catfish fins are like razors, They can really hurt you. The best
    way I have found to get them off a hook is to get hold of the hook with
    a pair of strong pliers lift the fish up to where his weight is toward the
    the barb of the hook, Then holding the fish over your ice chest (or the
    water if you are releasing it ) and give it a quick shake. Most of the
    time it will slide off the hook and you don't even have to touch the
    fish. I keep a pair of 9" lineman pliers in my boat just for that purpose.
    I think its easier on you and the fish to do it this way.

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Lil cats, you gotta hold them firmly around the body right behind the sharp (pectoral?) fins. They have to leave your hand head first. If you try to drop them tail first, you gonna get cut. If you don't hold them firm, they'll get ya.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Blues do have sharp fins, flathead don't.

11. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i drank ALOT of beer friday night,,, it didnt help at all when i got finned:confused2::smile2:

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    ALOT is okay, but, obviously in your case, NOT ENOUGH!:wink::smile2: Do it right Jeff, drink ENOUGH:smile2::smile2:

Besides that, you cheated and came home last night while it was raining:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2::smile2:

13. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Like the saying goes - no pain no gain:smile2: I usually do fairly well in staying out of harms way but the one exception is when throwing for shad and I'll get a half doz. of the little 6 inch dinks - they're a pain to get out of the net and you're about garenteed some war wounds - I never ware gloves but always use a net to land them and then grab em from the belly side with my thumb right below one fin and my ring finger below the other - if they're big enough to grab with two hands they don't pose as much of a threat as the smaller ones so it's really not an issue - I can tell you my finger usually look like I've been bass fishing as I like to remove the hook by hand and even a 4 pound fish has an impressive amount of clamp down power - most the time I use circle or kahle hooks so I just push the eye of the hook twards the fish and it pops right out - If ya want to conserve the population and you're not using one of these two hooks you should:wink: corner of the mouth 95% of the time:big_smile: