St. Mary's Lake in Ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigfish, Feb 22, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    does anyone fish st mary's lake about 20yrs ago my dad had a camper in a private camp ground on the lake. now this was before i knew what a flathead was {now i have been after these monsters for the last 15yrs} any way a buddy and i decided to go there and fish the night. around 9:30 pm my zebco 33 classic is almost all the way in the water by the time i grab it. after about a 45 min fight i get this fish up to the bank but my buddy wasnt going to grab that monster. by the time i get him the pole and get down the bank to try and grab it it flops and the line hits a rock, fish gone. knowing what i know now it was about a 20 to 25# flat. now i live in wv and it is about a 5 hr drive. but if someone knows if they catch flats on a regular basis it would be a good weekend trip.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you talking about st.marys in ohio? if so i used to go there a lot as a kid with my uncle, caught tons of eater channels, but about 15 years ago they started getting stunted. lake is (or was) full of runt channels last few times i went up there, couldnt even catch bluegills because of 'em. im not sure about this but i heard the flats were stocked in there not too long ago (15-20yrs?)to try to thin out the channels?

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks dinkbuster just wieghing my options on a 3 or 4 day trip this summer. so far its between summerville lake wv, st mary's lake oh. thought about burnsville lake wv,but recently heard of a boc brother trying to ask one of there managers {not sure what he has to do with the lake} but any way the boc brother said the guy basicly if your payin im tellin ya. but any way those are my choices so far. might just fish the kanawha as far as i can go towards the ohio river insead of going to a lake. who knows might even run into flathunter. i think hes around that area of the ohio.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have family not too far from summersville lake but i know nothing about its catfishing potentials. i do know its a very clear lake. not many folks cat-fish in that area but one of my uncles caught a 50 or 60lb "mudcat" (flat i suppose) in the new river right near the new river gorge bridge. funny thing was he was "red-eye" (smallie?) fishing when he hooked into it. gonna try to get him to send me a copy of the pic. if you do come to ohio look into the lakes in the eastern part of the state. the fishing over that way is fantastic! most everything west of Columbus is garbage.

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I didn't make it up there last year but the year before I made a few trips up there to stock up on small eater Channels, 1 to 2# size. I heard its hard to catch anything of size because of the small Channels messing with your bait. I like the small ones to throw on the grill whole and you can catch all you want up there, we would fill up 2 or 3 coolers every time we went. Hope this helps.

6. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey fatkat thanks for info. yeah i know st mary's is notorious for its flats one time i went out in a boat with a friend of my dads, we caught about 30 channels in just over an hour. it was the craziest thing id ever seen. course that was like i said 20 yrs ago. but not realy interested in channels im looking for big flats. cours like i said i can find them right here at home. just thought it would be nice to vacation somewhere i could catch some biguns outa the back yard.

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I should of told you, I never fished for anything but the small ones. I didn't try any baits for big Flats, like I said I just went there to catch Channels for eating because I had heard you could catch alot of them.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah those little channels are good deep fried whole:D

9. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    the lake has flathead in there i have seen a 47# and some 30`s come out and put back in the lake !! they are tuff to find , but once you locate them the game is on !! try the rocky points and fish with live gill chubs and goldfish!! the channel are 1-10 lbs there is alot of small ones , but that`s normal for the lake !! if you do a 3 day trip , try a few jugs to help locate the big flatheads !
    good luck.....:big_smile:

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hey Alan, your right about there being big flats in there. I've hooked one myself but it broke my line, and everytime I go into the bait shops there, there's pics of people that have caught them. Mostly we just fish for the masses of channels, carp, crappie and perch over there which keeps us entertained. But one morning I got up real early and was fishing off a rocky point like you said in maybe 5 feet of water, had a live drum on that I had just caught, wasen't really prepared to flathead fish, but thought I would have some fun. Was using 20lb line a 5/0 hook, 2 oz weight and that live drum, it was out there for a while and after about 45 minutes the line started to slowly go out and my bell went off, I set the hook on it and it started to run. He stopped for a second so I tried to gain some ground on him, then all I felt was him pull again and my line snapped and sounded like a shotgun going off. Now either it was a big flathead or one of the few remaining stripers in there. The last time there was a big fish kill in there, my dad found 2 dead stripers washed up that were both 20-25lbs.

11. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey rick , the last time i saw a dead stryper from that lake it was in the late 80`s early 90`s i`d say 30-35 pounder that got hit by a boat prop, or so it looked like it did. yea the lake has some monster flatheads , but they are really hard to find ! i use to fish the lake 24/7 till they redone the spillway , i go over there from time to time to fish for the flatheads, crappie, and perch !! i will make a few trips over there this month!!
    you have to use big baits there to keep the smaller cats away, or so it seems to help!! ths is one place that you won`t have trouble catching channel`s
    i`ve fished ares on the lake that looked to be the best area for flathead , set there half the nite without a hit, i did that last year about a dozen times, and i`ll probally do it again this year !!:big_smile:

12. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    well me and a fellow member bigones hooked up and hit st marys yesterday between rain showers. after deciding which poles to take (not that i don`t have too many to choose from) lol,,,,we fished for 3 hours (not long enough) but we gave it a shot !! we decide to head to the shark tank (my pond) at the house,,,lol within 20 min at the shark tank we had 4 fish and rolled & lost 1 or 2 others:crazy: just a hour before all that i was telling bigones about old blue and how he hasen`t been caught for 2-3 years,well after 5 min of fishing old blue came a knocking at the door and bigones crossed his eyes for him , well maybe next time me and bigones will get a few pictures, actually next time old blue is caught he is gonna get weighed!!! well we had a good time swapped a few stories , there`s always another day !!!
    well time to get ready for work :sad2:

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Those dead stripers we found were just about 4 years ago during early April just after the ice head thawn and there were dead shad by the thousands everywhere. We hit St.Mary's about 3 times a year, the family's got a cabin that we pretty much all look after just down the street from the lake. It's non stop action, really fun, and lots of good eats coming from that lake too:smile2: . My biggest fish out of there so far are an 18lb carp and 2 channels that were about 10lbs. I love fishing there cause it's the one place I can go to in the heat of July in the middle of the day and still catch bucket loads of fish.

14. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    my brother camps there I visit as often as i can going to enter the fishing tourment at Indian lake june 17? i think the date is right my first tourment

15. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ya'll talking about Grand Lake St. Marys. If so Ive been fishin' it. Never really tried for the big'uns but catch plenty of small channels.

16. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went tonite for a couple hours. Had plenty of bites. Caught three channels and my buddy caught 2. All of them about 1-2 lbs. Caught them on Chubs.