St Louis Monster flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by poopdeck [patrick], Apr 20, 2006.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Smiley " my dog" and I got to the Mississippi river about four oclock on easter morning. I had two poles with me, my 7000 abu garcia and my 320 iroc, the 320 is on my lucky pole. On the abu I used a large rock bass and on the iroc , I used shad guts with a strip of shad at the end of the hook. I threw the rockbass close to shore and I threw the shad way out into the current. This is the time of the year where you can catch some large blues out in the current. So i waited and waited. Then about daylight I started to get a small bite on the shad in the current. It was no big deal so I just kinda sit there and watched it. It would bite then it would stop . I figured it was just some small channel that was eating my bait. I deceided to reel it in before it ate it all. Of course I gave it a large jerk not expecting to even hook it.

To my suprise I knew it was a big one. This was not the first big one I have hooked so I didn/t panic. I kept the pressure on him waiting for him to give up. Then something happened that had never happened before. He did not give up, instead he got stronger. Then the fear hit me, my guts knotted up as I felt his brute power. I could not stop him. I thought he was going to break my pole or snap my line. I did the only thing I could do , I loosened the drag just a bit. The monster sensed what I did and used it to his advantage. Like a unstoppable train he headed into the fast currrent. I put my thumb on the spool to try to slow this mighty beast from below but it did not work he just kept on going and going. Then I did panic , it was in the current and my line was running out . I was on the verge of conceding defeat when I felt the train was slowing down. New hope rose as I gained on him, Slowly I got him closer and closer. My arms were getting tired and was happy the fight was almost over when he did a u turn and headed back out. Again there was no stopping the beady eyed beast . I hung on and hoped for the best. Next a horrible thing happened , smiley got under my feet and tripped me. I fell face first into the river ,the end of the pole hitting me in the mouth, larcerating my lip. Holding on to the pole with all my might , spitting blood ,I rose from the river. He was still on and I renewed my effort. Three or four times he made his get away while I held on like my life depended on it. Finally with shaking knees and arms a throbbing I saw the monster as I was finally able to beach him. I jumped right in the river and wrestled him to shore. I was breathing hard my had in his mouth holding him. He clamped down hard but I endured the vise like pain. I waited in agony for him to let go, when he did I stuck smileys leash down his throat and out his gil. I had him!!! He was mine!!! The big one did not get away!!
    Smiley really barked and barked at the flat head but he would not get too close. I think he was just happy the fish was on the leash instead of him. I had to use the leash as I normaly let them go and I don/t even carry a stringer. However since I wanted some pics, the only thing I had was smilys leash. It was about twenty feet long and made out of nylon so it worked out great.

I tied the fish to a tree and went to find some one to help me carry the fish as I could not do it myself as I have a bad back. I had to walk about 1/4 a mile out of the woods. I stumbled out of the woods a bloody mess bleeding from the mouth and my hand where the fish had bit me. I seen two big strong guys and asked them to help me. At first they thought I had been beat up but I explained what happened and they were glad to help.

There was about twenty people at the river and they all came to look at it. I felt great every one seing how big my fish was. I live at this camp ground about three miles from the river so I threw him into the trunk drove there real quick and put him in the lake. Since it was easter I had a barbacue to go to so I took a pic and showed it to every one , most of my family and friends drove out to the lake to look at him. Later that evening I let him back in the river he was alive and well , just a littled pissed off.

2. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    your right cliffton. I havnt fished since that day but I/m going in the morning. I caught some nice blue gils going to get some more and try for some shad at the river and head out abour 3, 4 or 5 in the morning.

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just wondering if you weighed it before releasing it...
    Nice story, I'd love to be able to tell one like that sometime in the near future.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now only a true catman would, right in the middle of bringing in a big one, jump in the river to let the blood from his cut lip chum up another big one.

Great story!

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have read two storys on this fish now and have not seen the weight of it, did anyone weigh this fish ?

6. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Wow,that's an awesome story. You must have caught Flatheadzilla.

Dave

7. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    No I did not get to weigh it the only scale I could find only went to fifty. People have estimated it at 55, 6o ,65 and a commercial cat fisherman who cacthes them all the time said he thought it was about 70 as it was so fat. If you click on my profile you will see a better pic.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Sweet story man, hope i have a few good ones to tell soon

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That's a big fish & a great story!

Eric

10. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    great story,too bad you didnt get it weighed!!how about a picture of this monster??

11. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    if you click my proflie pic it will give you a good pic of him

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish and good story, glad it was you in the water though.

13. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    good fish and story, that is what makes it all worth the wait. You just never know whhere dig daddy is laying

14. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had one kind of like that. I was fish on the raccoon river in Iowa.I was fish with chubs for biat, I droped a line in a back wash and i had a nother thrown up river. Well i was sitting in the lawn chair behind my truck and i could hear a faint noise but pay it no mind but then it starts to sound like a bell well it was, the one i have on my pole. the fish was hitting it so hard the bell didnt have time to ring. I jumped up grabed my poleand lifted and as soon as i did that my arms came right back down and i know i had a long night in store. Of all the thangs I had bugs biting and no help. I had just a flash light and it was in my mouth so i could use both hands other an the at time swotting the little vampiers that are all over. I climbed down the bank and found a rock to stand on still on shakey ground but 21/2 hours later i finaly have it at the muddy bank,pole in the air and flash light still in mouth i reach down to get a hold of it and it happened the rock i was standing on finaly gave way, i went down with a thud pole straight out in front of me and snap all my efforts went as fast as that flat did down river. Wellto mad to try agian I picked up my pride out of the hole i made and went home wet cold and looking like i had chicken pocks. I am glad to say that I have a net with me everytime I go now. well you hook some and you lose some good luck to all.

15. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats a monster! It could'nt been to much less than the state record. My guess ,it looks like a 65lb. flathead.

16. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Wow, very nice catch Pat! I am so hoping that I will catch one even half that size one day soon, but I will pass on falling in the river...lol

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great story, did you take any pictures? Glad to see you released him.

18. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    If you click the pic on the pic on my proflie theres a couple pics of him, more pis in the Illinois section local talk, under giant il flat head page 2 r 3

19. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    patrick sorry i missed you today i woke up at 4 and fell back asleep on the couch and didnt wake up till 730 i had a doctors appt. at 845 so i didnt go out there maybe we can hook up someother day,,,, tim

20. susquhanna catman

susquhanna catman New Member

State:
    New York
    fish like that is what makes us fish!!!!!:)
    congrats.