St. Joseph River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Tony, this trip we are planing in May to the St. Joe, I have a few questions. Has anyone that is going ever fished down there? I guess what I'm getting at, is that it is a 5 hour trip for me and I hate going down there blind. It would be nice to know, that we diffently have a place to stay, and that there is access to good bank fishing. Some guys have a boat, but I don't.
    Sparky

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    The st joe trip! I we need some more info how deep is the river how wide how far from the camp site has anyone fished there before! input input input! Before i spend that kind of money that is a long hall for me and sparky and the boat! any idea of the camp site! lets look in to this a little more! it's not that i don't wan't to go but may is when the channels start in the bay and some are nice cats like last year 15lb and 8 10 and 12" perch! Give me hope!

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Good questions, Sparky & Don.
    I have fished the St Joe several times, in my boat and in other's.
    We can't answer all of your questions right now, at least not until we get a look at the campground and go for a boat ride. As of today, 12/31/06, we aren't sure how many are going, how many boats are available, and what the bank is like at the campground and elsewhere.
    What we DO know:
    1. We can car-pool out of Grand Rapids if that works out to be an advantage.
    2. Its 1.5 hours from my house.
    3. There's lots of bends & curves so there's lots of potential bank spots.
    4. If we get 8 guys, and those 8 guys have 3-4 boats, we're in great shape.

Rest assured, I will recon the campground before May, and probably a long stretch of river as well.
    When you're fishing the St Joe, you're fishing big water- it will float Sal's big ol' boat all the way from Lake MI to the Berrien Springs dam.
    All in due time, guys. We'll make sure we have good info to base decisions on.
    Happy New Year,
    Tony

4. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I live by the St. Joe and the flat heads are great up here 30 to 45 pounders in some areas

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hi DJ,
    Thanks for joining the discussion. What do you know about Shamrock Park just downstream from the Berrien Springs dam? Mostly we need to know if its a good place to bank fish. What can you tell us? Thanks.

For anyone who wants to have a look, Shamrock's address is 9385 River Dr, Berrien Springs, MI 49103. Punch that into Mapquest.com and you can see its right on the river. I can't wait to go check it out in real life.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    now this is really really starting to look good.

OH BY THE WAY....

Even though I have El Conquistador back, I may have gotten my hands on a flatbottom 14 footer as well. I will letcha know. It is all still in the works and I'd have to do a lot of work to get it, but it sure would look nice with my lil outboard on it!

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I had a chance to look at the sattelite photos of the St Joe near the park.
    Looks like its just a very short run upstream to the dam, and a short run downstream to some sharp bends. There's lots of islands & points around there too. The river sort of curves around the park, and it looks like there's hundreds of yards of shoreline on the park property.
    A lot of the shore just downstream is undeveloped, so there are probably plenty of places to beach the boat & fish from shore by the fire most of the night.
    I'm still planning to physically check it out, but it sure does look good on the computer screen.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I must admit, this is starting to sound better the more people post. Come on guys, jump in at anytime.
    Is that dogfisherman around, or has his wife got him out running? You know Vic, this place is closer to you than it is to me.
    Sparky

9. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    I'm thinking I will head down that way this weekend to check it out if time permits. I will know for sure on Fri. if I will be able to go. I'll keep you informed.

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    More info becomes available all the time.
    The park is owned & operated by the city of Berrien Springs, and it actually does have a website, shamrockpark.com .
    If you google it, you get a bunch of hits from folks who launched there, travel bureaus, etc.
    The satelite photos are the best. That river is just one big bend after another.
    There's supposed to be top notch walleye fishing there in spring, too. I bet there will be lots of folks fishing there...

11. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    greetings gentlemen.

i have a buddy who fishes the river all the time, for walleye and steelhead though. but i will pick his brain for some info next time we get together. also soon as it warms up the st. joe will be my new fishing hole, its only about an hour from my house. and my roomate(brother) has a 15ft boat.so by then we'll have all the info we'll need.
    until then
    -jim(steve)

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Steve, I mean Jim,
    It's good to hear from you. I'm sure once the weather clears, you, your brother and that 15ft boat, can do a major recon. Keep us informed. I'm looking forward to seeing you in May.
    Sparky

13. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    I just checked out the ariel photos of the St. Joe. Unbelieveable. you can almost see the big flatties swimming around. I am still thinking of heading down there to check out the park tomorrow. With the weather we are having I may have to take some gills with me.

14. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Jon,
    Did you ever get down to St. Joe for a re-con?
    Sparky

15. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    No, I didn't make it down. I was all set to go, but my co-pilot decided, well his wife decided, that he would rather spend the day shopping with her than go scouting with me. I was disappointed, but he was really pi$$ed. He hates the Pottery Barn, and Bed Bath and Beyond. I am still gonna get down there this winter. The first nice sunny Sat, or sun that we get, I'm going, with or without a co-pilot. But don't worry, I will let you know what i find out.

16. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey Guys:

I wondered when this St. Joe trip was taking place and if anyone else could comealong. I live in Milan but would like to join you guys if you still have room. Let me know. Thanks

Andy

17. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Andy,

Welcome to the BOC. Welcome to the Michigan Group too! I think Vic Brown is the closest member to you.

Generally speaking when we set something up, anyone can come along- so dont worry about any "exclusive" group outing. You're one of us now. LOL... resistence is futile! Hahahaaaa

I hope you know how to buy and/or cook a vegetable, cause the last time we met up nobody said they were bringing anything for the group but we all brought something to share.... we had 6 or types of meat and a couple bottles of gatorade among us. ROTFL.

You're also welcome to set up and let us know what is good around you to fish. Folks make monthly trips around here it seems... 3 or 4 guys here, 3 or 4 guys there... and over the course of the summer we all seem to get to each other's stomping grounds to fish for a night, relax, chat, and laugh our butts off. If ever there is a problem where we have to limit the numbers it usually means a tight bank spot where only a few folks fit or a small boat where spce is limited. Other than that everywhere is a free for all... everyone is welcome.

If you're used to catching dogfish and carp, you have plenty of competiton. LOL

Also- If you are ever anywhere near th center of the state, I live in Ithaca, and I'd be happy to take ya around my spots and show ya a great evening of river or lake fishing. I have 2 boats- a v-bottom and a flatbottom- so I can get you on any water except the big lakes.

Dont hesitate to PM me with any questions. You will not find a jerk in this group. Every fellow I have met here has been a totaly upstanding guy. We are all a bit different, of course, but there is a great time to be had when we bring our varied and sometimes odd worlds together for a night. It seems to be nonstop laughter.

18. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Welcome to the BOC Andy. Like Sal said, your welcome to any outting we talk about on the site. We've all gained some great friendships over the past couple of years.
    I live in Marlette, so if you're ever in the thumb area give me a holler.
    Hey guys, we better keep Andy on our buddy list, I just look in his profile. 75lb Flathead! WOOOOO Momma! This guy knows something about catching these big bad boys.
    Sparky

19. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Sal and Sparky:

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'd like to join up withh you all this summer. My work can be kinda hectic, but things slow down a little in the summer. It would be great to head out and catch some cats. I usually fish in Northwest Ohio, and have been wanting to fish the west side ofg Michigan for some flatheads. Sparky, my big flathead came from out in Kansas about for years ago. I have the picture on a disk somewhere, I'll try to post a coipy of it. Well, take care, guys.

Andy

20. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Welcome aboard, Andy.
    Like the guys said, everybody is welcome to the group outings.
    The St Joe trip is set for the weekend of May 18,19,20.
    We haven't made a reservation yet, but we're thinking Shamrock Park just downstream from the Berrien Springs dam. We have to make a recon trip to be sure its "Catfisherman Friendly" (navigable water and bank fishing opportunities).
    Depending on how many want to participate, we'll probably end up with two camp sites for a tent or trailer or two. We'll also try to organize a menu so we wind up with meals that include the four basic food groups (and I don't mean beef, pork, chicken, and fish- or spam, spam, eggs, & spam).
    The biggest hurdle we have will be with boats.
    I can take two guys with me for a short trip, but only one for a longer one- especially in the dark. There are a few other members with boats, but we're not totally sure which boat/angler combinations will be present.
    One solution that I think will work out well is to boat up or downstream to one of the many small islands and set up there for the night. We shall see.

In the mean time, if anybody gets a chance to go scout the place out, please do so and let us know what you find. Also, gather any info you can on hotspots, hot baits, hot techniques, a place to catch bluegills, etc.
    This is a big river that gives up a lot of Master Angler entries, so let's give it our best shot. I plan to fish hard, eat well, and laugh often.
    As soon as someone gets a look at the park and the river, we should start an official "May Outing Thread" so we all stay together on this, OK?

Fighting cabin fever in Grand Rapids,
    Tony