St. Joseph river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by thenightstalker, Aug 15, 2006.

1. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    here in indiana, the st. joseph river has a hook restriction of 1/2 in max gap from point to shank. when it comes to catfishing, what kind of cut bait, or even live bait is that going to hold? nightcrawler? im not a bullhead fisherman. im a CATFISHERMAN! my baits run from 8 to 16 inches. the river has good catfishing, but its practically unfishable due to the restriction. is it time that the IDNR takes care of this problem???

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish the white river mainly in central indiana.. i had no clue they would put a restriction on a river... on most rivers and streams there are no limitations on most things.... I would look up the Indiana DNR site and send them an e-mail and see what comes of it... I would be outraged if i had a limit size hook to use.... 1/2 is nothing.... I will even send them something.. It starts with one.....

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Zach,

Have you ever thought about using a "stinger" rig like they do for pike when fishing big dead suckers? At least with this method you could have a couple of hooks competely exposed. Just a thought.

4. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I believe that hook restriction is due to the snagging on the St. Joe that happens when the steelhead and salmon are running. There seems there should be a way to allow for a bigger hook though for catfishing. Such as if a rod is stationary maybe or something. I would agree that some contacts should be made to the DNR to see about adressing this issue. Not everyone is a snagger and those of us who are fishing seem to get restricted. Just my 2 cents. Tight lines and screamin clickers to ya!!

5. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    yeah, i use a stinger rig sometimes. on a treble hook, there is a restriction of 3/8 inch point to shank. still very small. on a big ol flatty, the lower jaw bone is as think as your thumb. if the hook wont slide around my thumb, i wont use it.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    What about circle hooks? I would think that it would be really hard to snag a salmon with even a very large circle hook. If DNR is not willing to relax the hook gap for conventinal hooks, perhaps they would be willing to consider the use of circle hooks?

By the way, nice talking to you the other day.

7. thenightstalker

State:
    indiana
    i agree 100% that it would be very difficult to snag with a circle hook. yould really have to work for it. put in a word for us matt.:confused2: