St. Joseph River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by Sparky Larson, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Sal,
    Did you ever get ahold of the DNR buddy you have, about where on the St. Joe is a good place to start after those hog Flatheads?
    Sparky

2. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Sparky were abouts in Michigan do you fish the St. Joe.:0a21:

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Sparky, never been to the St.Joseph river but there is an article in Catfish Insider magazine called "On The Trail of Flatheads". Features a survey of tracking reveals habitat and movement patterns in the St.Joseph River. It didnt reveal any hotspots in particular, but still enjoyed the article

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I have never fished the St. Joe! I'm trying to dig up information so I can hit it once or twice this year. D.J. if you have any good information to pass along, I sure would be interested in hearing from you.
    Wolfman, Is that a local mag. you read that article in? I have never heard of it. Thanks for passing it on.
    Sparky

5. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    sparky

the magazine is an In-Fishermen "Catfish Guide" magazine.
    its a yearly publication fro them. good read.

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Jim,
    Thanks for the information. I'll have to pick one up.
    Buy the way, Vic and Don were out on the Bay yesterday, and got a boat load. From what I understand some of them were real nice ones. The weather wasn't the best, but they had fun, and some good luck. I'm kind of waiting for Vic to post some pictures.
    Have you given any thought to going up to Quanicassee the week-end after Mother's Day? We need some feed back.
    Don, do you know when the park is opened for camping?
    Let's get something in stone!
    Sal, you in?
    How about you boys from Grand Rapids? Lets get together and meet up, we can do a little fishing, a little camping, and a little socializing.
    Sparky

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    i found it at the local grocery store. they should be available in your area

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

Ill make the plan to be there- my only issue would be $

I gotta find a better truck for this boat! And a cheaper way to drive it there while Im at it! LOL

9. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I would love to tell you every thing I know about catfishing the St. Joe. But it is my first year catfishing and I have no clue what I am doing. My dads friend catfishes and has caught flatheads over 40 pounds in his secret spot that he said he would take me to.:cross: My dad grew up on the river and built houses on it, but never catfished it.

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    DJ,
    You find that secret hole from your dad's friend, and believe me, you'll have fishing buddies coming from all around the state! LOL If you're catching 40 pounders the whole Michigan BOC will host an outting with you. Find us a place to camp, and we'll go fishing for a new State record.
    Keep your lines tight, and GOOD LUCK Brother.
    Sparky

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    That piece in IN-Fisherman's annual Catfish Guide was really interesting. The biggest point was that as the water warms up, the fish spend less & less time in deep water.
    The lower St Joe is a huge river with lots of holes & runs. Plenty of wood, too. Pretty easy to navigate by boat without prop damage. There are a few professional catfish guides working it when the salmon/steelhead aren't around.