St. Joseph River trip

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by jspiel, Jul 26, 2007.

1. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Whatever happened to the trip in July? I haven't heard a word about it in months.

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Jon-
    Judging by the underwhelming response to your post, it doesn't look like there's much interest. Everyone must be as busy as I've been. Teenagers will do that to you...

3. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    figured you must be busy, haven't seen you here in quite a while. Have you been getting out at all? How about you Don? Or Sparky? Is anybody having any success?

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I must admit, I haven't done much fishing at all lately, through nobodies fault but my own. I did a little brook trout fishing a week ago when I took a week long venture to Paradise in the UP, but thats about it.
    My daughther has come home for a couple of weeks from California, so I kind of spend as much time with her as I can. Needless to say she doesn't fish!
    I'll be heading back up north the 19th of Aug. for a week, to celebrate our anniversary and after that, I'll go back to work for awhile.
    In between all that is going on, I'll be building a new deer blind, as my ten year old condo, is slowly falling apart.
    Keep me informed as to what everyone is doing. You never know there might be a trip in there for me.
    Sparky

5. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Believe it or not, the paradise Cafe' is my favorite place to eat in the U.P. I met this young redhead in there once...........But that is a story for a fishing trip. Glad to hear you are still on this side of the dirt Sparky. I have been fishing a couple times a week most of the summer. I have found one very large Channel Cat, and have hooked him several times, but he keeps breaking me off. It has become a mission to land him before he moves downstream to his wintering hole.

Have you heard anything fromDon lately? How about Vic the "dogfish king"

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    It's been a couple of weeks since I've heard from Don. He hasn't been doing to much fishing either. As far as Vic goes, I called him a few months ago, but he said he wasn't going to get into fishing til the weather go hot. Well, It's hot and I haven't heard from Vic. I know he is heavy into running these daze.
    Sparky

7. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was hoping someone would rekindle some interest in this. I'm still relatively new here but I fish the St. Joe kinda often. It's not like they're not biting right now anyway, :wink:. A couple weeks ago I overheard another boat saying that they'd caught a 44 pounder & couldn't do any better so they were going home. This was 8pm, not even dark yet. Maybe another try to organize an outing??

RonSki

8. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    nice to hear somebody is interested. Tell me Ron, what do you consider as prime time on the St. Joe? You said they are not biting right now, why is that? late spawn? summer duldrums? saving energy for the fall feed? Another question I think I should askis, do you fish above the dam or below? are there many flats above the dam? which area is most likely to produce the biggest fish? wich will produce the most fish?

guess that is enough for now.

jon

9. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was entirely kidding when I said they weren't biting, sorry to make it sound otherwise :wink: As far as I'm concerned right now is a great time, I've been catching a couple every time out so far. Haven't had much time to go regularly, but they are definitely biting. I fish below the dam, that's where the most and biggest fish are caught as far as I can gather. There's lots of cover, actually too much cover, and deep water's not hard to find. The river is the lowest I've ever seen it, but it's not so low that you're bottomming out the motor everywhere. I think it helps to concentrate fish more anyway. And after about midnight, there's nobody out there....

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hey Ron,
    Are you fishing the St Joe in Michigan or Indiana? If in Michigan, are you fishing below the Berrien Springs dam? Does anyone know of a boat launch below the dam that stays open all night?
    Thanks,
    Tony

11. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes, I'm fishing below Berrien Springs. Shamrock park is open all the time, but it costs $7 to launch a boat. Small price to pay for not having to worry about my truck being up on blocks when I get back!!

12. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I've heard a lot about Berrien Springs being a good place to catfish but what did you mean by
    ? Is the area around the dam a bad neighborhood? Do you have to worry about getting mugged in the parking lot?