St. Joseph river in Michigan - Huge flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by kat buster, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Has any body ever fished in the St. Joe river? I heard there are huge flathead cats in there.:)

2. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    that is the rumor. apparently the DNR has tagged more than just one or two 50 plus pounders. according to sal (correct me if i misquote you sal) he spoke with some DNR biologists that personally tagged and released multipal flatheads over fifty pounds in each of the past two summers.

it would appear that the St. Joe may be the river to offer up the next state record Flattie. (I am still rooting for the Grand or the Maple.)

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know a guy from Purdue University who did his Master's Degree thesis project working with flatties on the St. Joe. Yes, he got some nice fish! Definitely worth giving it a try.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Where on the St. Joe are these big boys?
    Sparky

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Well the night jross and sparky and I were boarded on the kalamazoo river, the DNR guy wouldnt tell us where they tagged em.
    When I was in Birch Run, the DNR guy told me a couple of places but not having been to the St Joe before or having a pen and paper, I didnt write em down. The good news is that the same DNR guy and I are going to be doing some fishing and perhaps even tagging together here in the next month, so Ill get the info off him in due time.

Soon as I find out I will let you know. ;)

6. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I just started catfishing so I can't really tell you were to look. But my dads friend has a spot were he is getting #45 and #50:eek: . Im hoping to hook up with him when the weather gets better.

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey- the record in this state is (I think) 47 lbs out of the maple. If you land a 50 pounder, you have a new record bro. GO GET IT!!!!!

Sal