St. Joseph in May

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    May 18,19,20, that is.

Can I please get a head count of folks interested in making the trip?
    I'm going to call to find out how many tents & people are allowed per campsite. They also have cabins for a reasonable cost that I want to look into.
    So far, I don't know if we have 3 or 20 people on board, and it would sure be great to have a better idea.
    You don't have to be 100% sure either way, just let me know if you are seriously interested and there's a pretty fair chance you'll be there.

Just think, it's barely three months away...

Best,
    Tony

2. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    Count me in!!!!:cool2:

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm planning on it. When you make the call, see if they have any campsites right on the river.
    Sparky

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    As it stands rite now i'm in

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sparky & others:
    Looking at the aerial images (go to Mapquest, enter "Berrien Springs", then look downstream from the dam and you can see the campground clearly, the river surrounds it on three sides) it looks like all the sites are back off the river a bit so the entire shoreline can be public area.

I called and got a recording, so I left my info and asked about availability for 5/18-20 and for a brochure with rates.

This is the only campground I can find that sits on the river between the Berrien Springs dam and Lake Michigan. If they don't have a vacancy, we may have to look for another river, like the Grand or Kazoo, which is OK as a backup plan.
    We shall see. I'll keep you posted.
    Tony

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I am not too sure yet.

I know for a fact I am going to the St Joe this spring but I am not sure if it is that weekend or the next that I am set to go fly fishing with my brother down south in Arkansas. I believe that trip is the 26th through the 28th... but I am not ceartain.

If it is that weekend (and Im sure you'd do the same) I will go with my bro and hit the St Joe either the weekend prior or the weekend after.

Ya guys know how I am with the family though. It is bad enough he lives 3 states away as it is instead of just up in Marquette like he did the last 5 years. I wouldnt miss a weekend with him.
    :wink:

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    OK,
    New info as of 1500 hours, Feb 8 2007.
    The campground rep just returned my call, turns out he's a serious angler.
    The cabins are $55/night, but are set up for a mom, dad, & two kids. One double & two bunks 5'8" long, so the cabin isn't a very good option.
    The Campsites are $15 for primitive, $20 if you want power, and $21 for water and power. Pretty reasonable. They charge extra for extra cars.

BUT, and this is a really big BUT, the guy says "catfishing is no good until July & August".

SOOoooooo... why don't we stay closer to home for May and maybe set something up for late July? I was going on the assumption that the St Joe would be warming up earlier than most rivers around here, but I am not interested in taking the time & money to fish where the bite is not on.
    If I'm going to travel & sleep in a sleeping bag, I want to be there during prime time!

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, It kind of sounds like we will be setting up our tents in the campground next to the boat launch on the upper Grand.
    I have no problem with that.
    Sparky

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    By the way. Tony, Thanks for looking into this area for us. I'm like you, I don't want to spend alot of time and effort, if the fishing isn't any good.
    Sparky

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey thats a good idea too!

By then Ill be back in school and as long as I can use my book light I caan stay as long as classes arent is session. Heck- How ya think I got my bachelors??? LOL

Whatever works out, I shall do my best.

sal

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    There is a Good Sam campground on the Grand River about 300 yards from the public ramp I use.
    Its called the "Grand Rogue Campground", and it sits right where the Rogue River meets the Grand River.
    We can fish for walleyes whilst we fish for cats... one or the other will be hitting...

So: The St Joe trip is off, or at least postponed until July. The Grand in May. The sucker trip to the east side is late March, right Spark?

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, so far it sounds good to me. I hope this fits good for everyones elses time slot. Lets talk guys!
    Sparky

13. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i'll start fishing the st. joe in april. soon as the water warms up i'll be all over that river. so i will be able to have plenty of info about the river. the grand sounds good to, and we also need to get some boats in the water in the k-zoo. that river is loded with flatties!!!!

i have my bro's boat all summer, so i'll be all over.
    -jim(steve)

14. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Steve, (I mean Jim), Keep us all informed.
    Sparky

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Jim-
    I really need to get a closer look at the Kalamazoo. Anytime you need ballast in the boat, let me know!
    Tony

16. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey Tony, are you absolutely sure there are Flatties in the rogue? I have been 2x with you and have only caught pneumonia both times! Just kidding, had a blast though. Actually I did see the one Sal caught, but I still wonder if you weren't actually using it foir bait and "caught" it just for a little excitement. Anyhow I am looking forward to getting on the water again, I had a very good time with you and Sal. I am interested in going but cannot give a solid yes at this point. I am on standby for a trip to Africa in May. We are going over to build a mission compound and cannot leave here until we get word that the containers of material have made it through customs and are headed for the site. So the date of our departure is unknown, but if the Good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise I would like to go fishing sooner than later. Thanks for doing the groundwork for sites, cost etc. Talk to ya later.

17. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I never said there were flats in the Rogue but I know there's flats in the GRAND.

It's just that everytime I take a rookie out lately I get skunked! So its not me, its YOU! LOL....

18. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    It's just that everytime I take a rookie out lately I get skunked! So its not me, its YOU! LOL....[/QUOTE]

i seem to recall a trip where the rookie got skunked tony.......make that several trips. LOL

19. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    i seem to recall a trip where it was the rookie that got skunked........several trips actually....LOL

20. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    But Jon, I don't consider YOU a rookie. Heck, you fish with a Berkely Glowstick!

Any luck on the job front?