St. Johns / Wekiva Rivers

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I will staying in the Northwest section of Orlando - Apoka area for a few weeks soon and need info. In the past I mainly bank fish or rent pontoons from Hontoon and Highcamps. I am thinking about buy a grizzly 2072 jon boat for this trip.

The guy at Highbanks camp, located across from the mouth of the Wekiva told that the Wekiva was to shallow for pontoons. This was about a year ago.

I would like to take a jon boat up the Wekiva to the State Park ? and am really wanting to travel into Black Water Creek into the Seminole State Forest. Is this doable?

I know that gas powered motors are not allowed in the Seminole State Forest. Can I simply not use the gas engine and use electric trolling motors or skull paddle while in the State Forest.

Black Water Creek has been my favorite bank fishing and I really want to use a boat. I would get canoe, but am just too fat.

Any other rivers in this region? I'm mainly a small water sort. I like to keep it simple-enjoy fishing for bluegills, shellcrackers, stumpknockers, and am getting turned on to channel cats.

Thanks-Fred

2. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky

I meant Highland fish camp,

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yes you can motor up to the State Park line and then use your trolling motor within the park area.

Try pitching spinner jigs for sunfih such as small "Pony Spins" for the channle cats try chicken livers & cut bluegill. Keep in mind that ALL sunfish bluegills ext used for bait in Fl MUST be taken by line & hook.

Good luck,let us know how it goes.

4. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    The wekiva has been my fav fishing hole for 30 yrs.
    I fish a 20 pontoon boat and have little trouble geting to the mouth of the black water. I also fish a 12 ft Geenoo with a 15 hp and trolling motor .
    When the water is up you can motor the black water to hwy 44. If you work at it the wekiva get real winedy past the black water cut off .I have had my pontoon all the way to the shallow bar on the wekiva there the water is less than a foot deep for streaches the geenoo has been to the hwy 46 bridge .you can canooe all the way to the spring.
    I fly fish and cat fish the area from the blackwater to the st johns.
    It is about seven long miles to the frist fish camp on the wekiva from the river
    A shallow john should not have a prob in the upper wekiva if you have enough troll battery . have fun
    Mule

5. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    When I said motor the black water I mean in a small boat that is tough.
    mule