St. John's river

Discussion in 'FLORIDA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Phantom309, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    Left out this morning with good expectations. Went west of Cocoa to "Lone Cabbage Fish Camp", headed south across lake Poinsette, down middle river to secret spot. Set up and began to enjoy a beautiful morning.
    One thing wrong, no body home, had the general menue on, liver, shrimp, gizzards. After approx 45 min and not a single bite, decided to head out and find another spot.
    Found a nice place and settled in, finally got a bite, got em to the boat, decided hey, I can just lift him up by the line and into the boat. Began lift then, bloink ! he came off ! (and had the net four feet away, just didn't have the gumption to reach over and grap it).
    After a little while longer, did manage to pull in a couple medium sized speckled cats, then everything calmed down. Tried a few more places but seemed like that was going to be the end of it for the day.
    So, got two med cats for the day.
    Best part= I got out, enjoyed another beautiful morning out on the water, and , no skunk ! !
    Swampy, was using those 2/0 hooks, man they're hard to put a shrimp on ! Oh yeah, all fish caught on the liver.
    Have a nice day,
    Danny

2. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Danny,
    Where are you fishing on the St. Johns?
    I fish down there sometimes out of Deland.
    I love it down there.
    I gona have to find another place to stay though
    The camp I'v been staying at dosent allow dogs any longer.:sad2:

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Danny glad to hear you got a few and got to enjoy being out on the river. No those 2/0 don't have a lot of room inbetween the point & shank for baiting. There great hooks for the eatter size cats,I mostly use liver on them when I'm targetting eatters.

4. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    John;
    West of Cocoa. That'd be Hwy#520, pretty much east of Orlando.
    Normally I stay a bit north of this spot (Titusville-Mims(Hwy#50-to Hwy#46).
    Lake Harney is my prefered fresh water lake in the fall and winter. And that'd be due east of Sanford (on the St john's)

5. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Danny,
    I never really fished that far South.
    Like I said Deland is where I usually stay.
    Thanks for the return post and I hope you catch as many as you want . Save some for seed.

Try this: Buy some cheep hot dogs, cut them up so they will just fit your hooks, soak them for a couple of days in vinegar and lots of garlic powder( I also put jelly of any kind in mine), stick them in zip lock bag in your cooler.
    This works well for me.
    Let me know how it works for you.
    Good fishing!

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have camped at mullet lake state park and fished for catfish. I used one hook and caught eels for bait. There are some deep holes in the river there with some good fish.

7. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    John;
    That hotdog recipe sounds good, might just try that. (just ordered a pt of Danny King's reg+blood bait, thought I'd try that and see how it does.
    Hootowlc3;
    I know where Mullet lake is but have never ventured over that way. Perhaps I might get over that way this fall. I like the phrase "Deep Holes", that brings lifted eyebrows to me.
    Danny

8. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Hoot,
    What town is Mullet Lake State Park close to?
    Where do you camp when you go?
    Do they have cabins?

9. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    went to the fl guide on state parks & found no listing for mullet lake.
    catman fl

10. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
  11. pythonjohn

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks Danny.
    Now that will get me there.

12. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Hey phantom Mule here .
    How far are you from Stick marsh the bass fishing area?
    The reason I ask .Is that a couple of days ago one of my buds went bass fishing down there and did poorly so he tryed fishing for cats and cleaned up using cut shiner.
    Might be worth a try
    C.R.Mule

13. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    John, that should do you. It is a nice place to camp. When I camped there it was primitive. No facilities at all.

14. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Forgot to mention, Mud Hole is close to there if you need to pick up any rod making parts.

15. Phantom309

Phantom309 New Member

State:
    Titusville Florida
    crmule;
    I'm a pretty good ways north of Stick marsh, probably and hour and a half.
    Have towed my boat down there for crappie fishing (once, a couple years ago).
    Hadn't thought of the place as a catfishing hole, but, guess it could be a good one as most folks go there for Bass/crappie, etc.
    Yeah, will have to keep that in mind for sure,
    Tx's