St. Johns River

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by MattW, Oct 20, 2006.

1. MattW

MattW New Member

State:
    Florida
    Any body have any advice on fishing it. Around the lake Monroe area.
    Thanks!
    Matt

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've never fished it but I hear it's great for cats, maybe we can hook up sometime:roll_eyes:

3. MattW

MattW New Member

State:
    Florida
    That sounds like a good idea. What is the fishing like here during the winter months? Nov. thru march? I'm after one of those redfish that everyone keeps talking about right at the moment. Soon as I get the boat tagged and titled I can acess more water.

4. GillSlayer

GillSlayer New Member

State:
    Florida
    I just moved here (jacksonville) last febuary and from what I can gather winter is the time to hit it here if your after some reds.

I have yet to hook into one but I haven't really spent much time trying. I am currently convinced however big stinky cats remain almost untouched in my area of the st johns. I hooked into one the other day on hotdog that I am pretty sure would have gone over 15 if I could have gotten in out of the water without the hook coming out.

I would check out LINK REMOVED for more local info.

5. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    I live in Orlando, and just started to think about exploring the St John's river. I'll drop a line to FWC and see if they can come back with any suggestions. I can only fish from the bank, so easy access is a must.
    I wouldn't mind getting into some of those Flatheads that supposedly live in the river !?!?

6. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    HI Matt I will try to ans. your questions
    Go to the local tag office with your title for the boat ,trailer and check book they will do the rest .
    get your license there to.
    If you have commerical fished before go to see Jimmy Boston his fish house he has all the info you need .If you are a newbe don,t waste your time with jimmy.
    Fishing the river takes pratice ,for cats try along the bridge on lake jessup,at the creek mouths and deep holes in puzzle lake [NOTE THE NAME] also the wekiva river ,it's north on the river .see your chart,also when the watre gets cold [60] the discharge of the FPL plant on the river .
    hope this helps crmule

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Follow the St Johns south on a map. Locate Crescent City. At the north end of Crescent Lake, you'll see Dunn's Creek. Fish it for the largest channel cats in Fl.

For alot of good red fish, head to Titusville and fish the Indian River area of the ICW. Fish on the whole coastline of the space center. Wind drift, pole along, or use a trolling motor.

Redfishing there is awesome throughout the year. The shallows don't give up much in the wintertime though. Early spring throughout October have been the best for sight fishing the flats. Redfishing from there to Sebastian inlet and further south is some of the best in the south.

8. MattW

MattW New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for all the replys!
    I'm just getting settled in. We moved in at the end of July. I can finally walk through the garage!!!!

And far as the commerical fishing goes, I wouldn't call myself a professional. A few hundred hooks on the weekend ain't a scratch to some of the thousand hook guys that I know! I was hoping to maybe unload a few hundred pounds here and there, wouldn't be making my living at it. YET!
    My main goal at the moment is setting up a coon meat market. I have some connections that I hope pan out.
    Any of you guys that have any leads to the meat market I would appricate hearing about it.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
    Matt