St. Johns River - Traveling South

Discussion in 'FLORIDA RIVERS TALK' started by ChannelHead, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ChannelHead

ChannelHead New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I live in south georgia and regulary fish small farm ponds for bass and a few catfish. I will be spending about 7 days on the St. Johns River near Astor during the first week of July, and i hope to be able to turn the kids (and me) on to some good channel catfish. I have not fished rivers, much less one as big as St. Johns, for these. Does anyone have ideas or ???? thanks alot, i have spent all morning enjoying threads on this site!

-craig

2. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I cant help you with your question about the river but I wanted to say welcome to the BOC. Glad to have you Craig!

3. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Graig.
    We live a little north of Astor right off the ST. Johns but it should be the same there. We use Shrimp, worms, cut bait. and stink bait. We fish around laydowns, bridge pilings and on the drop off of sand bars. Hope this helps.
    Good Luck---let us know how you fair.
    Walter

4. ChannelHead

ChannelHead New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thanks for the warm welcome Cat Man Joe!

Foureyes45...thanks for your response also! I'll have a boat with me, so I'll be able to venture out basically everyday. Are there any other types of fish in that part of the river that I wouldn't normally see around here? If so, i'm very interested in getting prepared, and giving it a shot. I'll probably do some night fishing also.

5. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    We have all types here,LOL, gars, mudfish, lots of bream. and those Gators. We have caught flounder way down here. The reds are being caught a little south of us. The shrimp are beginning to make their run. What are the dated that you will be here?
    Thanks
    Walter

6. ChannelHead

ChannelHead New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wow..didn't realise the salt would run that far. I'll get there on July 3rd, and come home on July 8th.

7. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Craig,
    We have started an ACATS chapter here on the East Coast.
    Hope you can join us on one of our tournaments.
    BOC has been a lot of help getting us on this site.
    Maybe we can meet up while you are down here, its not that far to Astor.
    Have a safe trip.
    Walter

8. Dillard

Dillard New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fished in the St. Johns River back in the 80's in Palatka, Fl. it is an awesome river! We also went crabbing off the dock it was wonderful and we caught lots of crabs! We used chicken necks tied to a thin rope and dropped them in the water! We slowly pulled then up to edge of water and useda dip net to catch crab at waters edge! It was no time till we had a 5 gallon bucket of crabs! Now I live in Kentucky just a mile from the Ohio River just up river from Smithland Dam where record Catfish have been caught! Sweeter

9. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Oh I forgot to tell you about the Crabs,LOL, We pulled the traps Wed. morn. and this morning and had 123 nice Blue crabs, Will pull them again Friday and Have a Low Country Boil Sat. afternoon for the neighborhood. Aslo will have some Catfish fried up:tounge_out:
    Have a great day.
    Walter

10. ChannelHead

ChannelHead New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I told my wife that we may be able to catch crabs, and she looked at me funny! Then she realised what i meant, and now she is more excited about the trip.

11. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Report in the Jacksonville paper said the Shimp are already running?
    Looks like we will have to try the old Cast net next week.
    Have a great and safe weekend ALL.
    Walter

12. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Greg, How was your trip to Astor? Hope you enjoyed it.
    Have a great and safe day.
    Walter