St Joe catfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by matahone, Jun 26, 2009.

1. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I spent the day on the St. Joe River fishing for anything that wanted to play and some cats. I finally hooked up with a few cats. I was using cut bait and the first one I caught was an 8 pound blue. I had several other hits and lost a couple small channels. I think I am starting to learn how to fish for the cats on the Joe. Can't wait to get back out. I am taking a trip in a couple more weeks down around the Bedford area to try and hook up with some flatties.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Cal!

3. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
  4. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice job! But you don't have to go south of Indy to catch flatheads, go to Michigan. Berrien Springs, Benton Harbor, anywhere in between. There's big ones too :)

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago I used to fish the St. Joseph river,,, we were back of a golf course,,,, great fishing,,,,,

6. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Hey Cal welcome to the BOC!!!! And good luck with those flatties in a couple of weeks!!!

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the b.o.c. Cal!

8. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BoC. Anytime you want to come fish the St Joe give me an IM and maybe we could Hook up a Few cats together. i have been fishing th Joe for a number of years. There are some big ones in there. Good to see some one else so close. Fish on.

9. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I may have to get my MI license and give it a try, not to far from MI.

Which golf course edid you fish behind..., if you don't mind sharing?

10. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Dierache,
    I will take you up on the offer. I am usually off during the week. Don't know what kind of schedule you work but we can figure something out.

11. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I miss my guess he was behind Eberhart in Mishawaka.

12. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anytime you wanna go up that way, I'm always open to new boat partners. That goes for the South Bend/Mishawaka section too. I mostly fish the Elkhart section but I fish the others as well.
    I go by Eberhart to catch my rock bass for the flatheads, know that area very well. I'm unemployed and fish almost every day now :) Love it...

13. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    You guys let me know when you are going out. I can meet you there with my boat or fish from yours it don't matter to me. If I am not working I will be there.

14. matahone

matahone New Member

State:
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I am hoping I can send PM's now that this makes post 10 for me. PM number to call and I will do the same so we can talk in person instead of this posting thing...,

15. Jeremy Mapes

Jeremy Mapes New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I too would like to fish the St. Joe. I'm in LaGrange, only about 40 miles from Elkhart. Maybe I could meet up with some of ya sometime.

16. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Matahone, Ronski, and Jeremy, glad to see there are a few others that fish the river. How have you all been doing the last few times out? With the river high it is hard for a non boat owner to get around and fish. I would love to fish with you all. I ahve a normal fishing buddy we hit the river every friday nite. I either hit the monkey Island or the damn, I am looking for some new places since I am limited to the shore, no boat.

17. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Matthew, I've been fishing the Elkhart section and catching quite a few channel cats but it's been sporadic. One day I'll catch 7 or 8 & the next I'll only catch one. Still learning I guess. I'll be headed over to Monkey Island Tuesday to catch rock bass for bait and then try to find a few channel cats. At least that's the plan so far.
    Jeremy, I've been wanting to get up to the river around Constantine or Three Rivers and see what I can find up there. That's close to you so as long as you've got a Michigan license, you're welcome to go when I get up that way. Or any other way if you don't mind the long drive ;)

18. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    welcome to the boc cal wtg on the fishing

19. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
  20. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    we use to fish up around three rivers and constatine on the st. joe years ago. A family member had a small fishing cabin ther on the river. It is a beautiful river with the lilly pads and stumps. We would go around the end of May when it was still a little cool up there and catch the crap out of them cats. There are some very nice crappie there as well not to mention monster carp and turtles. I would like to go back someday but the only place that would allow camping was a small very old convience store right on the river. It use to be ran by a old man name Herman. The campsites were behind the store.