St. Gen catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by bellew00, Mar 26, 2008.

1. bellew00

bellew00 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey there guys. First off I just want to say that this has to be the best site ever! I just found it last week and seem to check it every evening. I have never done any fishing on the mighty miss, but was wondering if anyone ever has any luck around the St. Gen area? We do some fishing in saline creek at St. marys but we usually just use worms and end up catching alot of smaller channel cat. Does anyone think it would be worth trying some cut bait there or would there not be very many blues up in there? The spot we usually fish is about a mile from the mississippi. Well, I hope to mabey get a little bit of input from all the smart people on here. Happy fishing and thanks!

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    IF ALL YOU ARE CATCHING IS CHANNELS ON WORMS THEN I WOULD SAY THERE MIGHT NOT BE VERY MANY BLUES IN THAT AREA, I DONT KNOW BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHERE THAT IS. MOVE OUT TOO DEEPER DARKER WATER EVEN SMALL BLUES HAVE A HARD TIME PASSING UP A WORM. GO HIT THE MIGHTY MISSISSIPPI USE SOME CUT BAIT, BE CAREFUL AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

OH AND BY THE WAY WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard, Carl. There are quite a few of us in your area. Check out the link below to the Gateway Cats Club, which is a group from the east side of MO that get together. I am sure one of us would make room for ya in our boats. We have a meeting this coming Saturday at the Cabela's Conference Room. You would be more than welcome to join us.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=458

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Carl, Welcome to BOC!!!

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Carl, welcome to the BOC, sounds like some good information so far. I would try what Jason said and you can even throw one rod out with cut shad and see what happens where you are currently fishing. I am not familiar with that water but If you are only a mile from where it meets the Mississippi then you are a mile away from some good blue cat fishing. Good luck, I look forward to reading your reports.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC Carl, the finest catfishing website in the world.

You live on some of the Best Trophy Blue and Flathead Catfish water in the entire country. Some of my best fish have come down from your way. I love fishing around St. Genevive. You'll find your bigger fish out on the Big River however they will go up the creeks in spring to pig out on the shad spawn, then spawn themselves.

The others gave you great advice for baits and such.

WElcome to the BOC..

7. bellew00

bellew00 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the input guys. I will try to get out and try some of that stuff in the next day or so hopefully. I'm thinking that I might have to head toward the big river on my next trip and see what happens. Ya knever know untill you try. Hope to have a good report for ya soon! Oh, almost forgot, was talking to my dad lastnight and he told me that he's caught some smaller blues out of saline. Those little ones have to have parents right. ( and grandparents!!!)

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    No don't go confusing the guy, Cuz. The Big River is 20 miles west of Ste. Gen..:wink: It does have some very nice catfish, or so I've been told. For some reason, the Big River is too small for me to put my boat on.:crazy:

Actually, Carl, Cuz has caught blue cats in the 90+ pound range and one of his best holes is right outside of Ste. Gen.................Don't ask me how I know that exact location, but I will say that a great pair of binoculars is my most valuable piece of fishing equipment in my tacklebox.:wink:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Me thinks me better start keeping a closer eye on this Kutter feller. He aint always tucked away in the cave like I think he is. :smile2:

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like Cuz said, right now during high water in early spring is a great time to fish creeks feeding into the river. We have a ditch by us that you can almost jump across in the summer time. During the floods it gets backed up. My cousin was setting on a railroad tressle, fishing with a 5' pole with an old Johnson spincast reel that had duct tape wrapped around it to keep it from wiggling and caught a 30+ pound blue! Welcome to the board and good luck.

11. gdk0925

gdk0925 New Member

State:
    pevely missouri
    welcome aboard,where at in st genalways looking for a new place to fish.:wink: