St. Francis River

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by fishassasin, Oct 16, 2007.

1. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Anyone ever fish the st. francis river in northwest arkansas. i was just wonderin how the fishin is?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Dave, I have not fished it as of yet but I am sure we have some Arkansas members that have.

3. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ok thanks man for ur reply

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    isn't that one of Keith " catfish " Suttons home rivers?

5. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    dunno keith... i know ive fished it a few times on the missouri side but never into arkansas ... its been a while since i have fished it tho ... was just wonderin how the fish are biting cause im gonna fish it soon.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've fished the St. Francis, but only way down just above where it runs into the Mississippi (Huxtable Pumping Station). That's supposed to be a good spot for flatheads, but the gar wouldn't leave us alone long enough to catch any. I never saw so many gar in one place in my life.

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ive caught some descent fish out of it ...and there are some holes in it that u wouldnt believe that are around ...like 40 and 50ft deep

8. cougar0n10

cougar0n10 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fish the Lower St. Francis River, usually the floodway. As Jtrew stated the gar are here aplenty. I try to use cutbait as often as possible and fished tight to the bottom. A few gar bite it, but it is more effective then just stinkbait, which the gar seem to avoid. Mostly blue cats here, and they have been biting well the past week.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Matthew welcome to the BOC.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Matthew! I've talked to people who have reported doing very well on flatheads on that stretch of the river. I even found out that they had had success on their lines in almost the exact spot where I had some lines. If I get down there next summer, I think I'm going to either try where the L'Anguille meets the St. Francis, or go on down to where the St. Francis hits the Mississippi.

11. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    I live about 5 miles from the St. Francis where hwy. 64 crosses it. If anyone has fished that area I would love to here some stories and techniques. The river is flowing FAST now so any tips on how to fish it would be great.

12. cougar0n10

cougar0n10 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thank you Jtrew and Catfisherman60, glad to be here. I have fished the L'Anguille also, where it passes under Highway 1. Caught a few little flatheads and some decent blues. Timber is worse on it then the St. Francis, and for a bank fisherman thats a challenge.
    As for Louie's question, I have fished there (the boat access point) when it wasn't as high as it is currently, though still requiring four ounces or more of weight to keep it on bottom. Try to work around the many pillars there as I have had decent results there. Minnows work, but attract pretty much everything(gar, gar, gar and oh look another gar). Now I stick to cut bait and stink bait and enough weight to keep it on bottom, and fifty # braided test keeps line breakage due to timber snags at a minimum. Though I have fought one in the dead of night and it eventually ran me out of line(with the drag all the way on) and snapped it like 5# test. Good luck

13. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I fish the lower St. Francis a few times each year. I love fishing below the pumping station at Huxtable. I just talked to my fishing partner yesterday and we discussed setting up a couple of winter trips down there. Looking forward to making the trip and catching some winter time blues.:big_smile:

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Matthew, that must a been one of those GatorCats, I liked fishing around the huxtable pumping station, Just something about that whole river screams Huge Flathead, but the best we could come up with on rod n reel was about 10 or 12 lbs. Wrong time of year or not far enough up or down I dont know. Seen some dandy pictures up at that bait store. Welcome aboard! :big_smile: Howdy Arkie, long time no see. Mac

15. cougar0n10

cougar0n10 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I always see people at the pump station, it's rare to not see anyone there. I have never left there empty handed, they might not have been monsters but I don't complain. As far as not leaving empty handed, well the tackle box is always alot lighter after a trip there. What most people around here don't seem to understand is the floodway isn't affected by the pump station. Not one person that has stopped and talked to me while fishing north of the pump station on the floodway (there are several bridges between HWY 70 and HWY 79 that I fish) seems to know that it dumps in just after the station at what is known to me as Hell's Bend. I think if one was to fish just up the floodway a bit they would have good results as the fish may make there way back down river and retreat there once they dead end at the pump station. I don't have a boat or a 4wheel drive so my ability to explore that is nil.

16. cougar0n10

cougar0n10 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Anyone been on the St. Francis/Floodway lately? Pump Station?

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Matt, I do alright here on the Arkansas, I have not fished that river.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Matthew! I've fished there one time. No catfish, but 10 million gar.

19. lalanice

lalanice Member

State:
    wynne ar
    Name:
    jeff
    i live in town there and i havnt hand any luck cught a drum and a carp and a gar but no cats sadly but i donty have cutbait either my my bites have come on hot dogs

20. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi Jeff. I see your new and so welcome to the USCA forum. Lots of good information here, found by both asking and also just reading.

Being new, I don't know if you noticed that the post you quoted had occurred 10 years. You would be better starting a new thread and asking your questions directly. A good place to start would be to click on the forum button above and then move down the page until you see the States listed. Select your state and then one of the three categories offered. That will get you more local help but also can be seen by anyone that looks at all the new posts.

Good luck.