St. Francis River Polluted?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by veryama1975, Jan 26, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hi,

I was passing through Arkansas a couple of months ago on my way home from Texas. I decided to visit my uncle who lives in the extreme NE corner of Arkansas near Piggott, Arkansas. He told me that the catfishing in the St. Francis River around there used to great years ago but that it has been so polluted since then that it isn't even worth fishing. He said that local "farmers had buried too many chemical barrels near the river."

He isn't the only one to tell me this. I talked to someone just over the state line in Kennett, MO. He said the same thing except that he blamed it on factories upriver. He said that you would have to travel an hour or two away to get any decent fishing. He told me that the St. Francis is too polluted in that area to have any decent fish anymore & that you wouldn't want to eat any if you could catch them.

Anybody here from the Piggott, AR or Kennett, MO area? Anybody know anything about this?

2. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hey just wanting to repost so my question doesn't get buried.
    :big_smile:

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
  4. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I fish the St. Francis but it's further down stream. I also cross the St. Francis on my way to Memphis. The waters I fish are "colored" from the farming activity around the area. Fishing is real good. My Brother In Law fishes the St. Francis between the state line and Marked Tree once in a while and he does good there too. I would just go and see what happens. It could be that most people in that area "think" the river is dead and in reality it's teaming with fish. Then again, the locals could be right. Only way to know for sure is fish it.

5. cougar0n10

cougar0n10 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    As Arkie55 replied I too fish the southern part of the St. Francis River and the floodway. I am not sure about it being polluted, but it is usually running brown due to all the agriculture. I have caught and eaten alot of blue cats from it, no problems here...or maybe that is what is wrong with me. Hmmmmm....? :eek:oooh:

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    in missouri north of kennett,mo there are no factories on the st. francis .... ive lived around the river for most of my life. ive seen the water so clear that u could see 6 to 8 ft to the bottom and nice fish swimmin around ... its definitely got some good fish in it.