ST. Francis river in Arkansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by BigDuck, Feb 9, 2006.

1. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Have any of you guys ever fished the St. Francis river around Trumann?

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    BigDuck,
    I have not fished the St. Francis in the Trumann area. I have fished it bleow the Huxtable pumping station. I can tell you, that lower end is fantastic. Have you fished it in the Trumann area?

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have fished mostly around Double Bar Bend below the huxable pumping station. I plan to fish around parkin, I scouted it from the bank a couple of weeks ago and the water looks good.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Last year, several of us got up a fishing trip and spent a couple of days camped right below Huxtable Pumping Station. Unfortunately, none of us were really familiar with the area, so we didn't catch much. The water seemed to be a bit high, since the island across from the launching ramp had water all across it. (Seemed to be less than a foot deep at the center part of the island.) Do you think that was the problem? The gar were as bad as piranha.

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Jerry,
    We've caught fish with the water that high but on lines. R&R fishing with the water that high is real tough. Just for info, we usually set five lines in the inlet behind that island when the water is high. Five lines, with 5 hooks each. Last year the first week of May, we averaged a fish every other hook behind that little island. Not to shabby.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Very interesting. Just for giggles, I put out three limb lines while we were there. Two were to the right of the launching ramp, and the other was way back up in the inlet behind the island. All three were totally eat up by gar, sometimes within 15-20 minutes of baiting up. I checked each limbline several times a day, and it was unusual to still have a rice slick still on the hook. On rod & reel, we used rice slicks and cut skipjack.

7. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Guys, I've only fished around the trumann area. What town is the Huxtable pumping station near?

8. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Big Duck, it's close to Marianna, near the mouth of the St. F.

Some talking now about a return trip this spring.Are you launching at Lunceford or Payneway? That's the only 2 ramps I've been too, are there others? Consider making plans to join us, we have a good time at our gatherings.

9. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    I rent a boat house stall from a guy here in Trumann. its at the Oak Donnick ramp out at Tulot, about 2 miles south of town.The trip sounds great.

10. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bigduck, I fish St. Francis, But mainly at payneway dam. Also at the marked tree siphons. I have fished in the Trumann area, but don't really know any good spots. Help a brother out. Yeah, we need to all get together. I think that would be fun. Maybe I could learn a few things, better yet, a lot of things.

11. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Pumping station is around Marianna, just above Double Bar Bend. Fished that area years ago when uncle ran the ferry. Have been thinking about putting in at parkin

12. r_do

r_do New Member

State:
    Paragould
    When you guys have a gathering, what do you do for camp? Do you use tents, campers, motorhomes or what.?? Some places have no flat ground for tents. and some have no place for campers. I would like to know, just in case I find I can make one of these gathering.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    All the above my friend. I have seen RV's, tents, camper tops on trucks, camper trailers, I have seen some nice RV,s to and old camper with a flat tire all seem to work for the member. Brother you use what is comfortable for you. Most of the gathering are in a state park with the comforts of elect. restrooms and running water.

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    R Do, when we camp at the huxtable pumping station, its usually tent or whatever you have, there is no electricity, its primative. One of the fellas brings a Generator to run fans with, gets a little warm plus it blows the skeeters away "Mostly". :) I am almost 100% positive that we will be going there again this spring Probably not long after Coach gets done with baseball. Keep an eye open and come on down and join us. We usually go after Flatheads that time of year, but fish for whatever you like. its all good. Mac

15. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Let me know when this is, alsom CharlesP54 was at Tunica the other day and cought three, one 5 and two a little smaller, water is 50 degrees and he is wondering when we might go there.

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Will do Buster, I hear you been fishin with Charles, be nice to meet you someday. Mac

17. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Been out with him twice and met him at Bass Pro in Memphis for a couple of hours on Sunday, I hope to meet everyone before all is said and done. Am looking forward to the next small weekend, Tunica, St. Francis, just someplace.

18. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    just talked to a fellow in marianna ..... flats not doing much there yet .... but he expects it to pick up if weather continues to warm up......... the 31 , 1st and 2nd may be pretty good .................. he said there was a lot of good blues being caught on trotlines.........................

19. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Mississippi is on a steady rise, all dikes covered at new bridge, should change water in St Francis. Do you think Pumping Station may be to close to Mississippi if the waters keep rising. Also, Coach do you know any of the Boozers.

20. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    gordon ??? ag pilot ........... know him well ............... we should be ok with the languille and st f bringing warm water down ....from what i heard last week end , water temps on the misipy are going up fast too............