St. Croix & Orvis?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by buddah, May 11, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm just curious.. What do you think of St. Croix rods? I just bought one and am trying it out sunday but still taking my good ol' Orvis 9'-er w/ me. Let me hear your thoughts.

2. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Ive got three of them for bass fishing, all three are 7ft,weigh under 5oz. are extremly sensitive,super strong and i could go on and on. So I guess Im trying to say that I think they are some of they best rods out there. If I could find a St. Croix Muskie rod, that would be my next cat rod. Get a St. Croix.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey TX riverman, ST.Croix does make a real nice cat rod. It's made for muskies but I use it for cats and have no complainants. It's a 8' model rated up to 50lb. I fish with mostly St.Croix and I think this rod is the best one they made for bigger fish. St.Croix should have it listed on thier website, if not go to Muskyshop.com. They usally hold all the St.Croix models.

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I hear ya' brother! imagine pullin a Big ol Blue Fox across yur favorite stretch and latchin' onto a big ol' muskie! I would definately want a good dependable rod backin' me up. I'v had rods shatter on me before.. Not a good time! I must confess though, I use a Fenwick Walleye classic rod for larger fish. My wife swears on G.loomis but I cant see a difference.. maybe price! LOL

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Buddah. You cant go wrong with St, Croix rods. I cant tell you anything about orvis as Ive never owned one. I have 3 St. Croix catfish series models and I realy like them although they dont make that series any more. now you have to go to the muskie series and ther super tough. as you know there a little spendy but worth the money. we have a gentelman here on the sight by the hame of GATOR he owns gator rods and also one of our sponsors and his custom rods are to die for ive been told. I know I will be ordering one from him here real soon. just need to get a fue more daddy points with the little woman. but I have a plan for that ,I think ill take her out for a steak dinner tonight and maybe a dozen roses get one of them real mushie greeting cards from Halmark that says something like(BABY YOUR THE REASON WHY I CHEETED ON MY EX WIFE)You get the idea what do you think guys, will that help? The things a man has to do just to get a new rod just ain"t right,Bigcatman0816.

6. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I fish St Croix spinning and casting rods for catfish these rods are the best rods built IMO. I might offend a couple of people here but an ugly stick is excatly what is in its name ugly the rods are just to flimsy for my liking the St Croixs are solid this rod is unbelievable strong.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a dozen St. Croix rods in my arsenal. They are extremely well built and tuff as nails. You can't go wrong with one of these rods!

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thanx, Now I'm as excited as ever to open up my new flyrod this sunday! I bought an OKUMA Airframe reel for it too! The reason I brought my new flyrod here is because I want one of St. Croix's larger rods and I figured you all would be the ones to consult on the matter! I guess I was right... THANX AGAIN!! Happy fishin' :big_smile:

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have an 8 ft. classic cat by st croix . Found it last year at a Pawn Shop for $75 with an Abu 6500 on it. It is super strong and maybe even over kill for cats under 20 lbs. Nevertheless, it is my baby and I fish with it very frequently. It has a lot of snap in it so it can really blast a 3 oz sinker a long way. Recently Ive had a problem with the reel seat commming loose. Never tested this rod to its limits. Still waiting for that ultimate test.

10. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    I have an 8 ft. cat classic. I used it for a season and a half until my 40 lb. test broke at the reel and tore out several of the eyelet inserts. Now it sits in the basement collecting dust. I can make someone a good deal on this rod if anyone is interested. Other than my experience I haven't heard much bad about them. Not that my experience was bad, just my bad luck I guess.

11. REED

REED New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Chuck,

Please drop me a email with rod specifics and price. I am very interested.

Reed

markreed1@yahoo.com

12. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

I love my 11 ft.st. Corix but the next rod in mind would have to be the G-loomis.