St. Croix musky rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by MAX1955, Jan 28, 2010.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I sent an e-mail to St. Croix asking if they still made classic cat rods to order, there reply was no they didn't. They did inform me the pgm80hm glass musky rod is the sole survivor from the classic cat series model cc80h. It is a high end rod $200. each, I heard alot of talk about the classic cat rods so I looked into it.

2. Catman66086

Catman66086 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mike,
    I asked similar questions in my St. Croix Classic Cat post below. I've copied a response from one of our brothers for your consideration. He had the same recommendation regarding the glass model.

Response from prior post.....
    I too was a big fan of the St. Croix classic cat series , but with the loads of cheap rods out there , they couldnt compete in the market. Lets face it most catfisherman dont put a lot of money into catfish gear and are not looking stpend cash on good equipment. Sad for us that do , cause manufactures are not going to put out quality stuff for only a handful of us that buy it.

These are all rods that would be close to the big classic cat:
    LTM86HF
    LTM86XHF
    AVC80HF
    PM80HF
    PM86XHF
    PGM80HM

Out of all those I would pick the PGM80HM as it is a GLASS rod and not a GRAPHITE rod. The graphite rods tend to be a bit too fast tipped and the glass rod is closer to the S glass that the classic cat was made out of. The glass rod is much better and will be more forgiving and will work better for big cats.

If anything bad should happen to my pair of 8' classic cats for flatheads , the above rod is what I will buy to replace them.

As far as cost goes , you wouldnt buy a $200 rod only to slap a $50 reel on......same as I wont buy a $50 rod to put one of my $400 calcutta 700CTE's on either. Gotta match the combo IMO.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I got two of the 8' muskie rods. They work great. I also found another rod that is ther best they have. it's a 8' saltwater premium rod. Thier pretty expensive but worth it.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I got both the Musky and Classic Cat rods made from St. Croix.

The Classic Cat was discontinued in the early 90's.

The Musky rods are great alternatives.