St. croix fishing rods??

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by F150Catfish, Feb 5, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I just wonder anyone use St. croix rods for catfishing??? I knew that is expensive rods but I can get one someday.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Andrew,I have Fue St.Croix rods and they are Super,I love mine.I have the St Croix Catfish Series that are no longer made.I guess they were a little spendy and they stopped makeing them.But they make some of the of the other series that will work well for the Big cats.Good Luck,You might want to check eBay out as sometimes you can pick one up in Good condition and save some Money.J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Look at the Wild River and Avid series for a decent catfish rod. JMO

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For anyone interested, there is a good used St. Croix Classic Cat on e-bay right now. I ran across it this morning. I believe there's still 2 or 3 days left on the auction and right now it's at $52 with a $25 shipping charge. I lost interest when I saw that. It looked to be in good shape though.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    dang.. I would take this rod but I'm still in community college, I have to save money to pay this school... well someday I can find one.. But Thank you for let me know!

6. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I have alot of St.Croix rods. I love the newer model they have. It's a 8' model up to 50lb line. It real good big cat rod. I love it. I think it was around $160.00. It's one the better ones on the market.

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    St.Croix has a line of rods,the Premire musky series that would be absolutley great for catfishing. The only problam is the price,from about 155.00-200.00.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I have an 8ft classic cat and it is a great rod, well worth what I had to give for it.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I actually use an 11.5', light power/Moderate action, SCII Graphite, 4-10L.B., 1/16-1/2 OZ. St.Croix Wild River rod paired with a Shimao Stradic or Symetre 1500FI (I use Berkley Vanish Transition line or Stren "regular" in the 6#-8# test lines)
    :smile2:
    We don't have those monsterous flathead catfish up ths far north, so thats why my gear is rated lower than most of the gear on here. I do have a Premier muskie rod though just incase. lol
    :tounge_out:

10. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have a few and they are excellent rods, just don't like the blame inserts.

11. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen quite a few decent St. Croix rods that were for muskie and other big game fish that would definately be perfect for catfishing. If you do decide to get one let us know how it works out for you. I'm also curious to know because I hopefully will be getting some money soon and might put some of it towards a piece of expensive gear.

12. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea I am thinking about to buy muskie M/H or Heavy rods. Thank you for comments!:cool2:

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  14. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    I'am an old man, so I am kinda slow. But I would like someone explane to my the advanage of paying $150 to $175 for a fishing rod with a big name on it.
    Dose it catch more fish, Is it stronger than other fishing rods, Maybe its the sensitivity, Or maybe its the idea you can say that you owen a StCorix,G-Loomis,Johnny Morris. Or maybe you just have so much money and need to get rid of it. Someone please tell me the advanage....

15. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I put alot hours on the lake and catch alot of big fish. Over the years I've found that second class equipment just don't hold up. Thats why alot of rods I got are top end. I've had rods break out on the lake before and none of them were St.Criox. I would rather not lose a gaint cat because I was using cheap rods. Thier performance is outstanding. Most people that go out fishing with me agree. Are they expensive, yes but well worth it.

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    All of the above, if you've never used a high-end or custom rod it's hard to explain.
    My St. Croix Is an 8ft heavy action, I have another 8ft heavy action rod made by Eagle Claw. I can take the reel off the Eagle Claw rod, put it on the St. croix and I pick up about 10-15 yards in casting distance. The St. Croix is also more sensitive, stronger, lighter in weight and yes there is a certain amout of pride in ownership. The sensitivity, strength, and better castability all combine to help catch more fish, so yes I'd say they do catch more.

"Or maybe you just have so much money and need to get rid of it."
    No I don't my dear wife saved money and bought my St. Croix as an anniversery gift for me.

17. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I actually posted here on this topic but it must have been removed? I don't know why because it wasn't rude or anything? I just said that they're super sensitive, longer and more percise casts, 25 year warrantee on certain models and plus a few of them were gifts from finishing my Chemotherapy.

I'll never buy another wal-mart rod again. I guess I'm spoiled! LOL

18. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea, Thank for comments!! :cool2:

19. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    and other question, which baitcaster is better for on St. Croix rods?? Thanks

20. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Abu Garcia, Penn, Quantum, etc...

Kinda like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge, choose whatever you like the best. LOL!