St. Croix Classic Cat rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Jun 23, 2007.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If any of you are interested, there's one of these rods on Ebay. It's an 8' casting heavy action. I believe the auction is up on Sat. or Sun. It's brand new with the tags still on it. I believe the current bid is $41.00. The shipping is like $25.00 though. I would like to have it, but I just don't have the extra cash right now. Good luck to any of you who decide to bid on it.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thats a GREAT deal! Shame they don't make them anymore. I guess the price tag of well over $100 was to much for the market to bear. I knew someone who had one and used it a time or two myself. He had a run of bad luck and sold it to Bearcat. Bearcat, you still have that rod?

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I saw that yesterday on ebay. Wish I had the $ right now. Looks like a good deal, not many people had placed bids.

4. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The rod wound up going for $126+$16.50 shipping. Somebody must have wanted her bad!

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Kutter Yes I still have both of them. Wouldnt part with them for nothing. They are sweet rods . That is a good price even for 25 shipping.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Kutter,

Actually, it wasn't the consumer St. Croix had problems with, it was the baitshops/catalog people not wanting to wrap money up in "High end" equipment for catfishing.....The big man at St. Croix said if somebody like Bass Pro and Cabela's would have "accepted" them, they would still be on the market.....Dwight

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    ST Croix still makes good rods you can use for catfishing just check out there musky series some of these rods are rated to 60 pound test I have one and it is just silly strong.They also have a 7 foot spinning rod that you can use it is extra heavy power rated to 25 pounds and up to three ounces. I love my St. Croixs best rods ever made worth every penny.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I've got to where if I need a rod priced over the $90-100 range, I'll have it custom built by blackhorse83.....I'm much more satified with a custom rod than one off the shelf.... www.blackhorsecustomrods.com .....I think your money is well spent....Stainless Steel guides, 8' blank(or whatever length you want), MH w/20-40lb line weight and 1-6oz lure wt.....Just my opinion.....Go to his site and on his homepage, the rod in the top two pics is mine.....I liked it so well, I'm having another built....Dwight

9. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yes A custom rod would be nice. But IMO ST. Croix is a quality like no other fishing rod their customer service is outstanding. I had one for 10 years and it broke sent it to them and got a new one.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    St Croix makes a fine rod but, can someone tell me what makes them so much better that they can charge those rediculous prices for them??? I can buy 2 or 3 rods that will do the same thing for the price of one of those over priced rods.
    They ain't that good!!!

11. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    What makes me think that they are better is that they cost to much lol.But seriously if you have used one the feal of it in your hands and the sensitivity of the rods is just incredible along with the strength and they are very finely crafted piece of equipment. I fish other rods also but everyear like to get another St Croix for some type of fishing.

12. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Dreadnaught,

Well, it's kinda like we like to "spend" our money...lol.....Quality of my equipment gives me confidence in my fishing like nothing else.....Different Strokes for different folks.....My brother buys his "combos" from wallyworld....I buy mine from Blackhorse....I don't catch fish any different, but playing a fish on a custom rod just feels good.....Dwight

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have held and fished with a st.croix rod and I don't think there is a nickles worth of difference between an uglystick tiger and the st.croix myself. as for custom rods I have a few and love them. I would much rather get a custom rod for the money, at least I know it was built to my specs and no one elses.

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Dreadnaught,

Now, we're on the right track.....Except when I buy a rod off the rack I get the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite.....I like it better for my smaller baitcaster's....My next Blackhorse rod is gonna have "corkwrap" handle on it....The reason is that my hands are a little on the small size and the corkwrap fits my hands better.....I wish the made the Tiger Lite in 9 & 10 foot models....I'm also a "long rod" man......I bank fish all the time.....I just ordered me another Tiger Lite H action casting rod about 10 minutes ago.....Dwight

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have only had one custom rod in my lifetime.It was custom made for me for channel Cats.It was made by a fellow member on the BOC by the name of Jim Hudson,who goes by Gator.I wish that I could describe what it is like.I can only try.It is a thing of beauty and craftsmanship.When ever a little feeling or sensitivity comes to my hands,I find myself getting it out and playing with it like a baby.The very feel and sensitivity is awesome.The very thought of what went into this rod for me is something else.I do now understand what a custom rod made just for you can mean to a person.Ain't it a great feeling?I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    peewee,

Yeah, I know what you mean....They do make lovely play pretty's...lol....Me and Blackhorse is trying a new blank that he's interested in for the new "play pretty"......I'm excited to see what the difference is.....

Dreadnaught,

I've never seen a rod from "Gator", but I'm sure he's good....I like a rod that has a lot of "backbone" and a moderate fast action...I can't deal with the "stiff" rods on the market....I like a little "shake" in my rod.....I wanna see it "bend" when a fish gets on.....Oh well, I gotta g to Oklahoma and be there in the morning....Starting out in Durant and ending somewhere....I gotta get off this puter and get outa here.....Hold down the fort till I get back...Happy Trails....Dwight

17. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have just ordered the Tournment Catfish Rod from BlackHorse, is being built now. Ohers I use are the CatMaxx combo and am going to have to find a reel for my custom rod when I get it.

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think, once you get this Custom Rod, your catmax rods will be replaced and collect dust in the garage!!!!