St Croix Classic Cat - Alternatives

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Catman66086, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Catman66086

Catman66086 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Can anyone recommend a good alternative to this discontinued rod? I am looking for a catfish rod on the lighter side for channel and small river applications. Right now my first choice is the Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger Lite in with medium light action.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Jason

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Was at the factory last week of Oct. and they still make some cat rods but they want some real money for them. Give them a call. They were selling live bait for musky in the shop 1-3 lb suckers all I saw was nice catfish bait, lol! Fenwick makes some good lite weight rods for the money with lifetime coverage. Look in the muskey rod line as well for the lite weight rods MH 7-8 ft, long butt, 15-30lb line rateing, and 1/2-3oz lure rateing. Good luck and C rod C !

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You are talking about a high end rod for catfishing, when you talk of st. croix. There are alot of choices out there, if all your using it for is channel cats. I like the twc rod, e-cat, cat max (bass pro), and big water ugly stik, for bigger cats (flat and blue). I have ugly stik lite, ugly stik mh, st. croix spinning, for channels.

4. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i have a seven foot IM6 gander mountain advantage rod that's rated for 20 to 40 pound line i really like. It was a whopping 30 bucks. It's a spinning rod though. There's a 6'3" casting model that's a bit stiff but still WAY lighter than anything else you'd pick up. It's 30 bucks as well. Their IM8 models run about 50 to 70 depending on the line ratings.

My dad's favorite channel cat rod is a Berkley Bionix Medium action rated for 10-25 pound line. It's usually 50+ bucks at wally world. I picked one up for 25 at the right time of year -- usually late October/Early November.

5. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Jason you need to contact St.Croix. http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/premier-casting Some of their Musky rods in the Premier series are the same length & rating as the Classic Cat rod.
    I have 3 Classic Cat rods I cannot tell any diff between the 2.
    St. Croix when testing the Classic Cat dead lifted 70 lbs. repeatedly with this rod. Ask them about it.

I was told I recieved the first one in our state. That was more than 10 yrs. ago. This rod has no creaks. But yet some of the guides on it are bent & tweaked from abuse.
    Dont think I would want to see how much I could dead lift with mine. But I can tell you any cat 15 lbs. & under, thats well hooked, is easily lifted from the water into the boat.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have one of the Gander Mountain Musky rods that I use for cats. A lot of rod for the money.Very well made and light, balances well with an Abu 6500 I wouldn't be afraid to use it for anything in the Ohio River. Mine is the casting 7 ft. or 7 1/2 (bad memory) I plan to get a couple more of them before spring.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  7. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    I think the st croix musky rod pgm80hm,is the closest thing you'll find to the classic cat.It's 8 foot,fiberglass with moderate tip,line 20-60,1-8 ounce & weighs almost a pound.It sounds like a great rod,but it costs $200.00:eek:oooh:

8. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    The premier Musky series from St. Croix PGM80HM is the same blank that was used on the 8' Classic Cat. The cork on it is different.

I have 4 Classic Cat rods and a couple of the Premier rods. I like the classic cats better- because of the way the cork is on them, but the premier muskie series are just as light. My newest Classic Cat rod I just got fro Christmas is a 6'6" Heavy action rod which will be great on the boat this winter. I have 2 of the 8' Classic cats and 1 of 7'6" ones.

If you look around every once in awhile you can find one. That 6'6" one my buddy found for me on ebay and it was brand new. They are definitly worth the money. I wont use any other rods. Whether I am fishing for bluegill or catfish I am using a St. Croix rod.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If it's for channel cats just get a quality bass rod in a 7' length or 7'6". Get an Abu 5500 or 6000 and have a blast! I've got channels up to a little over 20lbs on setups like that and it sure is fun!

10. FlatheadManiacScott

FlatheadManiacScott New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I too was a big fan of the St. Croix classic cat series , but with the loads of cheap rods out there , they couldnt compete in the market. Lets face it most catfisherman dont put a lot of money into catfish gear and are not looking stpend cash on good equipment. Sad for us that do , cause manufactures are not going to put out quality stuff for only a handful of us that buy it.

These are all rods that would be close to the big classic cat:
    LTM86HF
    LTM86XHF
    AVC80HF
    PM80HF
    PM86XHF
    PGM80HM

Out of all those I would pick the PGM80HM as it is a GLASS rod and not a GRAPHITE rod. The graphite rods tend to be a bit too fast tipped and the glass rod is closer to the S glass that the classic cat was made out of. The glass rod is much better and will be more forgiving and will work better for big cats.

If anything bad should happen to my pair of 8' classic cats for flatheads , the above rod is what I will buy to replace them.

As far as cost goes , you wouldnt buy a $200 rod only to slap a $50 reel on......same as I wont buy a $50 rod to put one of my $400 calcutta 700CTE's on either. Gotta match the combo IMO.

Scott

11. Catman66086

Catman66086 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow! Thanks gang. I'm ever-impressed by the wealth of knowledge this board brings. Your posts are a great help.

Jason

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    St. Croix Musky is just as good.

13. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    The tiger is great for smaller channels and all the other rods people have listed are good also.