St. Clair & Detroit Rivers

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by dsweet, Mar 9, 2007.

1. dsweet

dsweet New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Anyone fish these rivers for cats? I have heard many locals tell some great big cat tales and am curious if there is anything to them. I suspect that they are mainly a mid summer fishery due to water temps. Anyone have experience?

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Sal, is the man that has fished cats on Lake St. Clair, but he is temporarely off the site for awhile. He claims, he has caught some dandies there. An old friend of mine in town where I live, used to fish it years ago and catch alot of them. As of late, he just fishes perch through the ice.
    When Sal gets back on, he'll give you the low down.
    Sparky

P.S.
    By the way, WELCOME aboard!

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi Don, and welcome to the MI-BOC.
    I jumped over to the DNR Master Angler list, and there are literally dozens of channel cats on there between 25 and 35 pounds taken from Lake St Claire and the St Claire river, many in just the past few years.
    I didn't see any specific mention of the Detroit River, though.
    Looks like a good fishery for big channels- I may have to go over there & try it myself some time.
    Good fishing,
    Tony

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have a friend who fishes the Detroit river for walleyes. He says he regularly catches channel cats, some of them in double figures...W

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I noticed that many of the entries on the Master Angler list were caught on jigs or crank baits, I guess that must be why....