SS Props

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Doyle, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are those shiny ss props worth the extra money over a plastic or pot metal ones. Will one give you a few extra mph or mpg? Should one buy one?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doyle I use SS Props on my boats. I see about three mph faster. I see a big difference on the way they handle hits on stumps and etc.(Plus) Are they worth the extra price? I don't know you will have to figure that out yourself. I'll continue to use them. Good Luck on your choice.:big_smile:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Don't know if they "worth" it or not, but SS props will outperform an aluminum prop every day of the week. They'll also stand up to "light" abuse (like stumps at idle speed) better than aluminum.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Doyle I also use A Stainless Steel Prop On My Motor. I fish the Missouri River and some other Impoundments.The Big Mo.has quite a fue logs floating just under the surface at times,and especially they are hard to see at night, and I was tired of hitting them babies and having to repair My Aluminum Prop All the Time.The down side to the Stainless prop is that the Manufacture dosen't like them as they will take the whole lower unit out sometimes if You Hit a Good Log or Rock,Possibly voiding Your Warranty if You have One.But with that said I have never hurt My engine and I HAVEN'T had any prop trouble since I Switched.Hope This Helps.Your Friend. J.D.
    :go:

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I have had the same stainless prop on my 140 hp Johnson for 22 years. I work this boat hard and get into areas that I shouldn't and that prop has taken an amazing amount of abuse in the rocks, mud, and timber without ever failing. It nicks and gets little edge curls and still gets you home without a fuss. Every 5 years or so (or when I've really screwed up in the rocks badly) I take it in and have it reworked. I can't imagine how many aluminum props I would have destroyed (and would also need to carry an extra prop or else not get home except via trolling motor). Good fishing!

6. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the speed of your boat depends 100% on the size of the pop and more importantly the pitch ... a 15" pitch is faster than a 13" pitch and the 13.5"x13" for instance is slower but gives the boat more power ... like if you get a small motor for a big boat like I did you can get a 13.5"x13" and it'll haul 6 people up on plane pretty easily ... I switched it out to a 13.5"x15" which is a little faster but not much and now there's no way it'll get up on plane with me and 5 others in the boat. it's a 60 horse 2 stroke yamaha on a 2070 superjon and the little motor with the power prop was a lot more powerful and could handle about anything ... gaining the speed of the 15" prop was only a couple of mph with just me in the boat so going up in speed wasn't all that benificial. what the prop is made of has no bearing on how fast it goes.

the reason for getting a stainless steel prop is because they're a lot tougher than aluminum props and won't sustain nearly the damage when hitting somthing that will destroy an aluminum prop. usually the stainless steal props won't bend or break ever unless ya hit somthing full throttle that kills the motor and then slams into one of the blades picking the boat up out of the water like a big slab of cement that's less than a foot under water ... that'll do it but usually that'll tear the lower end up too... just hitting rocks and stumps and stuff that'll put a dog ear on an aluminum prop usually won't even scratch a stainless steal one ... you can literally go through 4 or 5 aluminum props before you'll go through one stainless steal. if you hit a sandbar pretty hard with an aluminum prop it'll change the pitch of it bending all the blades or a rock at a little above idle will bend the ends of them ... they get chewed up pretty fast sometimes.

some folks allow as how stainless will damage a lower unit or the driveshaft if they hit something but that's not right because they've got the same rubber slipping mechanism that the aluminim props have ... the stainless props are well worth it and if you shop around you'll be able to find a good deal on them sometimes like at www.iboats.com ... I got my 13.5"x15" 15 spline yamaha prop for $209 which as about 120 bux cheaper than I could get it anywhere else.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for the info.
    I am looking for a ss prop for my 40hp Mercury.
    Would like a used one but may have to buy a new one.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use SS props on my boats due to the fact that they are tougher and perform better then an aluminum prop. Try one and you'll notice the differance right away. The new style SS props have a small cup on the end of the blade that gives you a little more lift to get you on plane faster. You also might be able to find one on ebay reasonable if you know what the pitch, dia. and number of splines are or your local marine shop that works on motors might have a used one.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I believe them to be a lot tougher, also they will out preform standard props. To me this means that if I can get the boat on plane faster, or easier then I can back off the throttle a little and use less rpms to go the same speed there for saving gas, just my thought.

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I have had a lot of problems with alum props hitting logs and other floatsom stuff in rivers and lakes..... when I switched to the SS prop my problems have stopped..... I got a excellent used one for $100 and it pushes my Honda 90 4 stroke real nice.....

bayrunner ray

11. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have to have steel. Got a new boat last year with an aluminum prop on a 90HP outboard and figured it would last a year or 2. Turned out it only lasted 3 months. On the last trip with it, we hit a stump at idle and just barely got back to the boat ramp. I learned a 90 HP tears up an aluminum prop much faster than a 40 HP.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yep, a SS prop is definitely tougher than an aluminum one. The local dealer mechanic told me that's the reason I shouldn't put one on my 25hp 4-stroke Yamaha; it's too likely to transfer the shock to the driveshaft or powerhead and do damage. After trashing my aluminum prop on an underwater dike, I bought a composite prop at about half the price of an aluminum one. I'm not sure it's going to hold up in the stumps, but we'll see.

13. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The better performance? Is that because the prop glides through the water better or is that because the SS prop don't flex like a cast on might?

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's because it don't flex like an aluminum prop. Also if you have a 4 stroke they say go down one pitch from an equal HP 2 stroke motor. I'll see about that thou soon. I had a 17 on the 2 stroke that I just transfered to my new 4 stroke.

15. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    If you are running a smaller outboard they range just a little over 100 dollars of a stock prop . But if travel were this a lot of wood and stones it could cost alot for lower unit repairs. Hope this helps .