Squirrels

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by SNAGGED, Dec 17, 2006.

1. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Whats the best way to start a redbone on squirrels?

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If the redbone has never fooled with them I would used and experanced dog to help get him started he probabily will start tracking and looking up atree first watch him close shoot the squirrel out try to wound him if you can let the dog mouth him take a long string tiy it around the squirrels leg or tail thow him over the nearst limb on the tree let the squirrel get just out of the dogs reach this will make a dog start barking on the tree if you wound him and he bites the dog it will make him hate squirrels good luck and GOD BLESS:big_smile:

3. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Sounds easy, but you know how dogs are sometimes. I plan on getting a license in January and trying it out. I'm going back to Western Kansas for Christmas and might take here out with my lab pheasant hunting. Appreciate the info.

4. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Catch you a squirrel in a live trap. Let the dog bark and bite at the trap with the squirrel in it. With the dog biting trap and the squirrel jumping around, the dog will be fired up. Let this go on for 5 minutes for so. Bring the trap about 10' from the base of a tree and let the squirrel go. Let the dog chase the squirrel up the tree and get him to barking. After a few minutes of barking, shoot it out to him. The main thing is to keep him in the woods.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    welcome to the family Dennis you are gonna love it here and i see you jumped in with both feet thanks for your input

6. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks 223. I love anything in the outdoors. Especially anything involving dogs and kids.

7. grantpwll

grantpwll New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Catch one in a trap and let your dog tree it awhile then turn it loose in an open field so your dog can trail it to the tree that it goes up. Then you can kill it and let your dog fight it, try more than once if doesnt work at least you got a good pet.