Squirrels yet?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Aug 14, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well the season opened here aug 1'st but its been mid 90's and heat indexes of 100's+ so ive not been out yet. if seen a few while fishing the other day and will be taking the single shot 20 with me next time. its supposed to cool off to the mid 70's by thurs, maybe ill get out then.

any one else in and going?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    we dont come in till oct. but if you go early you have to fight the snakes skeeters and heat. i've never really had any desire to hunt them until after the first frost.

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Thats me to!!! Let some of the bugs die off of them!!

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Man now you guys have me hungry for squirrel and biscuits and gravy!!:tounge_out:

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I wont start hunting them till fall. Too many bugs and weeds right now and it's 100+ out there.
    I have probably 30 or more here around the house. We have oak trees all around the property and feed them also in the yard so there thick. They are all grays.

I dont hunt them here as we like to feed and watch them but have a 9 month old jack russell pup that just hates them.
    They know when shes tied up and know they better climb fast if shes loose. I havent shot one out to her yet but she has caught a couple of them. Plan to hunt her on some this fall.

Heres a picture of her when she was a little younger. Shes got a little bigger and a little fatter since but is a bundle of energy for sure.... If it moves she after it...:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    We start the first of september, but it will still be close to 100 here, so im not going out. I plan on waiting untill november when it gets into the 50s, and when the bugs, extreme under growth, and heat go away

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Ours start saturday

8. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    not sure when ours starts but i do all my squirrel huntin after a mornin deer hunt. after i eat lunch ill go walk through a stand of hardwoods behind our house and i allways get a few. that way if i dont get a deer i still have sumthin good for supper. yum yum squirrels!!!

9. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Squirrel season does not start here till Oct. We all ways wait till after the first frost because the horse flies bite them and lay their eggs in them. This leaves a nasty looking larvae in them witch makes it not so tasty looking. Do you have the same problem there? We always called these larvae wolves.

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I must admit, I'm glad you brought this to my attention. I still have six left in my freezer from last season. I think I will get them out for dinner this week.
    My season here starts the 15th of September. Some guys go the deer camp! Me, I take the first four or five days and go to squirrel camp. We have a ball!
    Last season I got 57. I shot 43 of them with a 10/22 and the rest with a .32 cal. muzzel loader.
    Where in IL. are you located?
    Sparky

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    randy

those wolves are some nasty little parasites huh?

we have them down here for sure. thats why we always wait till the temp drops.

12. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Our squirrel season starts around the 1st of Oct in La. We have had a squirrel population explosion the last few years. If you don't kill the limit of 8 the first few days you are hunting in the pine plantations. The timber companies have cut so much of the hardwood its hard to find a good hardwood bottom anymore. May be thats why the squirrels are concentrated.

13. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    When i freeze squirrels they develop a very strong taste. How do you do it to avoid this, same with saltwater fish i freeze.

14. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yes sir Jonathon they are. It is hard for me to bring myself to eat squirrels after seeing these little critters. That is why we always wait to after the first frost preferably several frost so that the wolves are gone. But man do those squirrels make some good dumplings!!!

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont hunt the the little bushy tails just for meat but i love to see a good dog work.i go to a squriel camp the last week before deer season starts.thats in nov.afraid ill get my dog snake bit hunting in hot weather.

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I have never had a strong tasting squirrel yet. I just freeze them in a zip lock bag full of water, so they don't get freezer burnt. I have found some that were two years old in the bottom of my freezer, and they were just as tasty as they are fresh.
    I think the key to good tasting squirrel, (as with any game), is to clean it as soon as you shoot it and get it on ice. In the early season, I carry a couple of ice paks and some zip lock bags right in my game pouch. I hunt fairly close to my truck, so when the need arises, I just go put my freshly cleaned squirrels on ice in a cooler, and head back out. Our daily bag limit is 5 here in Michigan. I average two squirrels an hour, so getting them back on ice, is not a problem.
    Sparky

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ours opened yesterday but with school starting yesterday i couldnt get out. i might go out and check up on my deer stands and take my .22 this weekend if the temp goes down some.

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will have to get out my famous tree rat recipe and share it with all you tree rat hunters!!! BBQ Squirrel on Grill!!! Dam now I am hungry!!!:big_smile:

19. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mine starts this Saturday. And that's when im going out. Time for the squirrels to meet my friend Mr. 410

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ours started the 15th of august. i took the boy out for his second season,he seems to be more of a hunter than a fisherman.lol he got three with his great grandpa's 22. im like most and wait till the skeeters die down a bit and the leaves start to fall. the older i get the more they bother me.