Squirrels and more squirrels

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JERMSQUIRM, Dec 19, 2006.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well its been a successful season for me so far. me and the boy went out a couple months ago and shot our limit of five. he had fun shooting his .22 and dad was blasting the critters with a single shot .20 guage.

since me and him were on out first hunt togather at age 7 i mounted one if the lil critters for the shop. out first squirrel. since then i have successfully shot my posession limit of ten and had a few good meals. and then shot another posession limit of ten. so after some meals i still have a good supply with the second round.

i cook them by breading and browning in a skillet and then in layers in a crock pot meat/condensed mushroom soup/ meat/soup/meat ect and slow cook for 405 hrs. tender as can be.:wink:

well now im gonna mount another one for my son to keep in his room.
    here are some pics.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    and a few more of the mount.:cool2:

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jermey the mount looks Super to Me, Nice Job !! And the fact that You are teaching the Young Man to hunt is Great ! Rep. points to You My friend J.D.
    :0010: :0010: :0010: :0a10: :0a10: :0a10: :cat: :cat: :cat:

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Jermy thats a great looking mount thanks for shareing:big_smile:

5. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    What did you do to the skins before putting them on the model squirrel? The mounts look great. congrats on your success

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i ordered a taxidermy kit from van dykes taxidermy supply. it comes with a powder called instant preserve. it has a large amount of antimicrobal agents in it. and the skin side must be fleshed of all meat and fat first. i used a pair of sizzors. squirrel skin it very tough and the sizzors taken and snipped parrellel with the skin cut off the meat and didnt cut the skin. then the instant preserve is dusted on and then the skin can be sewed up. this method it great for small mammels. as they do not need to be tanned. then the powder is dusted on and fluffed into the fur to moth proof it.

i just did another one standing erect. this time i carved my own maniquin out of the green floral foam available at wal mart. pics soon.:cool2:

the kit is also available from cabelas as vandykes is a cabales company. cost $20. not bad. thanks.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here is the hand made one. not done yet. just sewed it up last night and making the mounting plaque tonight. got this one holding a buckeye with a pile at his feetstiiing in a deer antler shed.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    that looks great you sure you werent meant to be a taxidermist

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Jeremy,
    For someone who doesn't mount small animals for a living, The pictures you post sure look good. One question, was it hard to skin the squirrels to get them ready to mount?
    Sparky

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    those mounts look verry professional to me you may have another calling in the future keep it up

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i plan on getting my liscense and becoming a part time taxidermist in 2007. for now im just practicing on my own. you can in illinois do your own and for family and such but you cannot charge. if so then you must be liscened. i called the dep nat resc, and spoke with a duty officer a coulple months ago so i could get some info. she also sent me a taxidermist law book that in studing so i can stay legal. i wouldnt have posted on these if i was doing wrong:wink:

so till this hunting season is over im practicing on my own stuff, as well as keeping detailed info on all my animals. even after becoming liscened i must have a record off all my own stuff in my buisness records. so this way i can stay legit.

as far as skinning them no. cut from between the front legs to between the back. then from 1" from the front paws to the center cut. then repete with the back. i then use a scalpel to skin it back untill you can get your fingers through the skin all the way around the center. then work towards the back untill you can get the legs out. pull untill you get the skin down to the feet and cut them off. you cannot get the paws to pull off. the skin will tear if you try.

then do the same with the front. work to the head and make sure to stay close to the skull all the way down to the nose. be careful around eyes and lips. you will need em all. the kit i ordered from van dykes comes with complete instructions.

12. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    thats some great looking mounts

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    That meat should be tender after cooking for 405 hrs....lol

Great job on those squirrel mounts...

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Jeremy, I wish you the best of luck in your taxidermy venture. Judging from the looks of what you have already accomplished, I would say that you'll do well.

It appears that you have a natural born talent for the craft. Reps to ya for bringing up another outdoorsman :big_smile:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lol, ya that should have read 4-5 hrs.

here is the finished hand made one.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just bringing these back for someone to see these pics.

17. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    thanks for bringin this back up, the mounts look great, you have talent i hafta say. maybe i can get that good before too long....baby steps..baby steps.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ah heck just shoot a squirrel and order a kit ($20) and try it. only gonna loose $20 if ya mess it up and still have a good meal. i got a good squirrel recipe in the diner too.

19. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Pretty Work. Both mounts are great!

20. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Looks like you did well hunting, and a wonderful job mounting as well. Did you ever have squirrel brains in scrambled eggs. Sounds gross to some, but is very good.