Squirrel trapping

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Feb 4, 2008.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    never tried it, whats a good way to trap a squirrell? live traps are expensive but if anyone has any cheap i would be interested, ive found my self a market for squirrels and need to trap as many as i legally can! thankyou!

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    4-10 lol. i would say live traps. are you just shooting for tails for lures? send me the meat lol. wish i had a few live traps myself.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    actually found a whole bucnh of people who will buy them whole frozen, once i get better at skinning i will skin them and sell them and be glad to give you the meat! i tried it once and it was okay, guess i didnt use enough gravy :tounge_out:

4. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I use a small hav-a-hart trap and bait it with peanut butter. Check and be sure you can sell parts of the little tree rat and/or the meat. You may need a trappers lic. and there may be some law against selling the meat. Good luck, Catfishjon

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya laws vary from state to stae on selling any wild life. and i was kidding on the meat. i hunt them.

try this recipe. its awesome.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40588

though by the looks of your pic ya might want to leave out the sherry,lol.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I use a livetrap.I used to catch them to train squirrel dogs.
    Best baits seem to be peanut butter with some feed corn scatttered around the trap.Helps to lure them in they are very sneaky buggers and dont trust much.

7. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've had them get into the attic. I just hung a rat trap on a post with peanut butter on the pan. It catches the smaller squirrels fine, but I haven't caught a fox squirrel though.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    take an acorn insert two nails on opposite sides. then take a power cord, strip the wire back 2" and wrap one lead on each nail. leave acorn on a dry stone in a patch of wet grass. Plug wire in to extension cord and wait. Now heres the important part--unplug cable prior to attempting to pick up "stunned" squirrel. Safety first.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Make a long square box out of hardware cloth thats a little larger than a 110 conibear.
    I'd use 1/4 X 1/4. Its cheap and the squirrel can't reach inside.
    Bait with peanut butter and guard the entrance with the 110.
    Caution check your local laws concerning squirrel trapping.

10. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    go to montgomeryfur.com they sell the bridger trap if you are wanting them to stay alive then they sell live traps or they have what is called a connibare. be careful if you go with the connibare though they getya good when they snap on a finger.

11. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That acorn idea is interesting, how'd you ever think of it. Would be funny though, not every day you electrify a acorn.

12. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i have a couple live box traps i used to trap squirrels to train boone, my mountain view cur. maybe try cheap rat traps?

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I was thinking of the one xmas episode of southpark where there was all these electrical lines in a pile of water he was looking like he would fall into but didnt (along with a dozen other things there that were waiting to kill him). But since it was christmas they let him live. It was the first episode that he was left alive at the end. I dont advise trying it as its probably not safe and I mentioned it only as a joke. But its be fun to try if we were on mythbusters.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im refering to the character name Kenny just incase your not sure or dont follow the show.

15. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wasn't planning on trying it. I have no urge to get shocked, been shocked enough. Thanks for sharing the idea though.

16. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LIVE TRAPS AND PENUTBUTTER

17. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Here is something that is cheap and effective.

If snaring is legal in your area, you could try the squirrel pole. It is cheap and quite effective. Just buy some small size, braided picture wire to make your snares. Make the nooses a little bigger than the squirrels head and set the noose high enough along the pole so that when the squirrel is going up or down the pole, that his chest will hit the bottom part of the noose. Experiment with the total length of the snare because you will want to have enough length to twist around the pole, enough for the noose and enough left after the squirrel is in the snare to keep him hanging at a level where he cannot reach up and grab the pole. Your amount of wire will depend much upon the diameter of the pole you select.

Also, you need to experiment with your noose. Since, once you get acquainted with the wire you use, you will be able to make the noose to have a spring type action. That will effectively help to close the noose around the squirrel's neck as soon as he sticks his head through the noose and his chest applies pressure to the bottom of the noose.

Find a tree that you know squirrels are using and place you pole there (up against the tree at an angle) with several nooses attached. Or, you can bait in an area that has squirrels and place several poles against trees that surround your bait. You will be rewarded for your efforts. But, you have to pay attention to your noose size and its bottom height from the pole.

Also, sometimes, you have to set nooses all around the pole, top, bottom and sides. Since, the squirrels will not always just use the top side.

You can do a search on the internet and find pictures of the typical arrangements.