Squirrel problem!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dankitch, Mar 29, 2007.

1. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I live on a street with about 40 to 50 pecan trees and several other nut trees on it. As you can imagine the squirrels are very thick here. I want to keep them out of my yard (my wife won't let me shoot them). What can I do to keep them away? I was told to get a couple of owl statues and put them in my yard. Would that work? Will it keep them out of my trees? The leaves are just starting to sprout here and the squirrels are starting to chew them off. And they are also digging little holes in my yard. Just typing this out, thinking about squirrels, is making me mad. I HATE SQUIRRELS!!! Any help would be appreciated.

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    turn some cats loose on your property. That will thin them out.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shoot 'em anyway. They are tasty. City squirrels are the best too. Big fat and lazy. For real, I think the cat thing would work best, but then you have another pest problem. LOL. And I will add that they are very crafty. If they want something, they will have it. Not much you can really do. I have seen those silly metal skirts that ppl put on their trees to keep squirrels off, but they don't work either.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    sub-sonic .22 rounds work wonders on squirrels. not much louder than a pellet gun. some places call them .22 "super shorts" or something like that. they'll fix ur problem, and you can get in some target practice when your wife isn't home too!!!

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Any kind of firearm, sub-sonic, or otherwise (I kill hogs with 'em!) is pretty iffy in an urban environment. An air rifle would be a better, safer, and quieter choice.

But the problem of the wife remains.

It will take one or more items that she values being destroyed by "squirrells" to bring her around, but it can be done. How sharp are your teeth? Be creative!:lol:

6. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    call the humane society and get some live traps for them...catch and relocate to a wooded area...it will eventually thin them out...they may even come set out the traps for ya, but its worth a try. if you lived close to me, id tell ya to bring them adn relocate to my woods, i love watchin them play and i also love to eat them too

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Some rice and gravy and they are great.....LOL I belong to Pepole Eating Tasty Animals (PETA)...LOL If you don't want to shoot them then to can sepnd you days traping them or put up a Owl decoy that will will work for a day or two. The other idea about a cat will work untill your wife see's the cat with one in it's mouth. Another thing is to get you a small dog you know the kind one of those yapping ankle biters. They seem to like to run squirrels.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Went through it a couple of years ago. You will not win! LOL! Traps,coyote urine,red hot pepper it is all futile. Shoot the little rats and and stake a dead one or two out in plane sight for the others to see. Bottom line is eat em. A pot pie with taters and carrots works for me. LOL!

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Danny,

They sure can be a menace.

We're surrounded by walnut and hickory trees, so our squirrel population would be out of control... if not for Wendy - the terrible terrier :cool2: . Also, she has a canine sister-in-the-hunt down the road who helps in this effort. "Red" the lab-and-who-knows-what-else is an expert tree jumper. That girl can spring 5 feet straight up into the air and give those squirrels pause to think about whether they really wanna stick around here. Between these two dawgs, the squirrels are kept on their toes and away from our property for the most part.

If your wife likes potted plants/flowers outside, that'll be next. They'll dig the posies right out of the pots and carry them off. Oh, they like Christmas lights, too... ever see a strand of 150 diced into 150 pieces while still wrapped around a tree? Whew.
    Good luck!

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    surrender. nothing short of killing every one you see will work. even then they will post a watch and use your yard when you are not out. they will sit on your plastic owl and watch you shoot starlins with a 12 guage and not flinch. they seem to know it is like thunder. if you hear it the danger is over. you might catch a few in live traps but the rest learn quickly and avoid the trap. they will climb just out of reach of a little dog and lay on a limb and bark back at him. a cat may catch a few but if the squilrill ever gets a good bite on it it is a goner. i put up lots of squirill proof feeders and watch them figure them out. it is like a circus sometimes.

11. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    remember this. The range on a .22 round is about a mile. Chances are the round will go through the squirrel and keep going. You want to shoot some kid or family pet? These rodents are a pain in the butt, but do not over react. Call the County Agent or the city animal control officer.

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I hate squirrels too. We got a lot of oak trees which is enough to get them digging in our yard. We haven't done anything to stop them because the problem isn't serious...but it looks like you got a lot of trouble. Just do some google searches and see what you can find.:roll_eyes:
    good luck

13. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Pretty hard to get rid of them with the nut trees. You can live trap them, but as many as you have you would have to quit your job to haul them away. As long as there is a food source...your gonna have them.

14. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Just put some big speakers in your front yard and play Barry Manilow 24/7. That should run them off.:0a26:

15. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Spoken like a truly married man!!!:smile2:

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If the wife doesn't want them shot you must honor her wishes! Go with rat traps and peanut butter. LOL

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Move.... it's the only way to get away from them. there's not many in the desert.

18. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    someone hit on something. you can solve your problem. just get a chain saw and cut down every nut or mast tree in your neighborhood. no food no squirls. lol

19. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Bass pro shops sells adult air rifles. they definetely have the velocity to get the job done.