Squirrel pelts.

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Sep 6, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    This year i want to save them and tan them. Im not sure how you go about it. Monday i shot my limit(6), skinned them. and nailed the skins to a board tightly. fur facing the board. then i heavily salted the "fleshy" side. They are well preserved now, but hard. how do i go about softening them? thanks guys.

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I know 3 ways

1. Tandys sells kits
    2. Brain tanning
    3. Do it like the indians and chew it till soft!!

Take your pick

3. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    im sur u could find how somewhere on the internet but i think i would just sell all the tails to mepps lure company for exchange for money or spinners. they use the tail fur to dress hooks. just look on mepps dot com and itll tell you how

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    dirty jobs had an episode where they were tanning deer hides. when it was hard, they drew the hide across a sharp edge repeatedly to soften it up. then they showed him the machine they use inreplace of the old way.

5. Catman92

Catman92 New Member

State:
    New York
    Usually i think after you salt the pelt there is no way to actually get the pelt back to the way it should be, but there might be.

6. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    ive been saving them for a while now and was thinking about doing that. i have no use for them, might as well get some new lures! I probably have over 100

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    on the contrary. go to www.vandykestaxidermy.com there you will find taning kits. what you did was salt dry. thats how they get hides back from safaries. they can stay like this for a long time. i have done this with deer hides. saves freezor space. all you need to do before tanning is rehydrate. take 1 pound of salt and mix it in 1 gallon of cool water. soak hides overnight and they will be just like ya skinned them. the overnight salting i do before pickling draws out bacterial mosture from the skin and sets the hair.

to tan. on the home page of vandykes go to "supplies" and a window will come up. scroll to chemicals and click. down the list you will find pickeling crystals. get 1lb. thats enough to tan 15 or so squirrels. because i use 1lb to tan a deer for mounting. $5.59 for this. then ya need oil. on this same page scroll down. get 1 pint of protol. this is good water soluble oil to make soft pelts. $3.99. thats all ya need. directions come with the crystals on how to mix. you will need 5lb of salt to mix the entire pound of pickling crystals.

make sure all meat and fat is off hide. this is a must before tanning. mix the pickle/salt solution in a 5 gal bucket or plastic tub. this make an acid bath. wear rubber gloves and dont put your skin in it and do in a well ventilated garage. place the skins into this solution and cover tub to keep in fumes. rotate skins daily to ensure a good saok. leave in for 3 days. remove and nutralize. to do this take one gallon of water and mix in 5-6 ounces baking soda. this nutralizes the acid.then pour the rest of the baking soda in the pickle/salt solution to nutrlize before dumping. lay skins out and let drip dry overnight. rub the protal oil into the skin. just a cap full will easily be enough on a small hide. the pint will tan 50+ squirrel but its the smallest ya can get. to make softer you can break em. this means adding just a few drops of oil and run the skins over a sharp edge/table edge/end of a 2x8 ect... the more ya do that the softer it gets. once it will be stiff. break it once a day for a week it will be like suade. if ya have any more Q's pop em. ill check back. if i dont pm me. hope this helps. $15 will tan ya a bunch.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    p.s. this is a skin on method unlike dirty jobs. i assume ya ment skin on right?

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
  10. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thanks for the info! exactly what i was looking for. i have seen those mounting kits in bass pro. the one you did look great. thanks again

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no problem. ive done 2 and am getting ready to do one for my son.

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For those of you Brother's that want to try tanning, or mounting their own Deer or Squirrel, ect, be SURE to check out that Vandyke's site. Although they are now owned by Cabela's they still carry the same High Class materials, if not more now that they have Cabela's buying power, and what little I have ordered from them I've had NO troubles and in fact, the staff will be happy to help you if your a beginner and tell them so. You can also get a free catalog sent to ya too. In fact, and this is just my own opinion thats all but I think they are the "BOC FOLK'S" of Taxidermy:wink:
    If I am not mistaken, I think that Van Dyke's also has a "Links" page too that may be of help to you budding taxidermists and even perhaps you folks that are very experienced!
    I hope this helps someone out.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Msg]]]]]

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have mounted 4squirrels now and have an order for another one now. i try and get most of my stuff from vandykes. they are a little cheaper than mckenzie on forms.

i have just tanned a beaver and 5 rabbit furs from my fryers i butchered last month. i used the pickeling method i explained in the previous post. i broke the beaver with the protol oil over a steel wedge on my logsplitter for 4 days applying protol oil before each 15 min working. it was as soft as suade when i delivered it to the friend at work. he loved it.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here are the last two i mounted.