Squirrel Loads

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by tcba1987, Aug 23, 2009.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    I hunt squirrel here in Ohio with both of my shotguns............a 12 ga Mod choke Mossberg 500 and a 20 ga Mod choke Remington 870.............i typically use the "game load" #6 shot for squirrels but i am having a problem with wounding too many squirrels that are high up in the tree tops especially in the Fall when the leaves are still on.................i stepped up to a #4 shot 3 inch magnum last year with the 20 ga and they knocked the squirrels down better but tore up the meat alot more.........which load do you guys recommend i use and what brand of "affordable" shotgun shells ???? i use shotgun ONLY............dont own a rifle and wont use one here in Ohio for squirrels !!!

2. jugfisher

jugfisher Member

State:
    kentucky
    Name:
    Clint Howard
    i had a remington model 1100 and couldn't knock them out high. it had a 27" full choke barrel. no matter what shells i used. i started using a 27" remington 870 and full choke was too much, had to go with modified choke and use trap loads. i figured it must have been the recoil difference between the semi-auto and pump. i believe you could go with a lighter load and a full or even turkey full choke and kind of kill two birds(or bushy tails) with one stone. cheap ammo and getting them out high.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use 12 gauge hi-brass #6s 2 3/4". Light loads don't cut it in tall
    hardwoods.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  4. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I'll take a .22 anytime. You hit, you get. You miss, they get!

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if i use a shotgun i just use my reloads that i load for shooting trap 7.5 shot and i have no problems killing them

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    For me Rem 1100 sporting 410ga., with full choke, and 2.5 inch #4 shot. Shoot them in the head. If they are up real high in old growth tree tops you may need to step up to the 3 inch load. If staying with the 20ga. or 12ga. tight choke and aim for the head #4 shot. Squirrel hide is tough most of the time #4 shot will pass through and #6's shot will hang up in the meat, also factor in the pellet count differance. Big shot, tight pattern, and head shots is all you need to remenber. I have have good luck with #2 shot in the 20ga and 12ga before I got my 410ga and they do not offer a #2 shot in the 410ga shot shell. Good Luck

7. jugfisher

jugfisher Member

State:
    kentucky
    Name:
    Clint Howard
    what kind of 12 gauge? the hardwoods i hunt are virgin timber so they ain't too short. you just got to knock him out high the fall will finish him. sounds like you may have a similar problem like i had with the 1100

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i still use the light loads, 1 oz #6, but in those tall pin oaks when they are cutting good... i use a turkey choke and hold just in front of their nose. you won't get all that meat damage and they are dead as a doornail when they fall. hope this helps, already a bunch of great advice here.

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You may be right Clint. I will try a different choke this year. I hate to chase
    a wounded squirrel on the ground.

10. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Local Wally world carries a 25 rd Winchester load 20ga. 1 oz. #6 shot, 2 3/4 for less the $4. I was buying 4 or so box's every payday. They are deadly on our squirrels. Im shooting a 20ga Mossberg 500 full choke and several 20ga single shots, H & R, N.E.F., Savage/Springfield. With full choke you have to aim just past their nose. I never put the bead "dead on" until theyre way out there, 40 yards+. With modified you can aim "dead on" closer it wont blow'em up as bad. I try to just catch their head with the edge of the pattern. Fewer shot to chew that way.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009