Squirrel livers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Laker2, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I happen to be an avid squirrel hunter in addition to a pretty fair fisherman. For the last few years I have been freezing squirrel livers for use as channel cat bait. Seem to work as good as chicken liver and stay on the hook better.

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I have used them fore years. they are one of the best baits going fore channels. They are tough and will stay on your hook.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sure Rusty, keep all the little secerts to yourself:tounge_out:. You know I need all the help I can get.
    Why didn't I ever think of that.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks,I've never thought about that.

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Ha Ha John if you don't hunt any better then you fish it wouldn't matter...lmao. You couldn't kill a Squirrel...LOL:smile2:

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ron thanks man ,as soon as I stop laughing I'll give you some rep!!!!:big_smile:Not laughing at you but just when I think I have heard just about all the bizarre,weird or strange things used to catch cats something new pops up.When I was a young boy and my dad was stationed at FT,Benning GA we used to fish UPATOI Creek and the C-Hoochie river for anything that would bite.A couple of oldtimers told us to find a wild grape vine that hung out over the river and use the grapes for bait.WOrked very well for the Channels of that day .They would congregate under the trees and vines when the grapes got ripe and start falling in the river or creek.There is a good article in the new In-Fisherman magazine about mussells and clams and how blue cats feed on them.Quite informative.:big_smile::smile2:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    ^^^I read that, and was left with this question: Assuming that gastric acids and enzymes digest the mussel meat, then what? I just can't imagine a cat passing a mussel shell(s).

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    channels love them good bait

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dave they do pass them with out any problem.Is does distend their vent and sometimes you catch them and part of the intestine I guess, is actually passed outside the anal vent but pass them they do.It isnt unusual at Santee to catch 20-30lb fish so full that they actually rattle.Often when holding fish in my livewell for tournaments they would pass the shells right in the livewell.:big_smile:That may have represented a "Subtle" message from the fish to me!!!!!!

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Heck yeah,any kind of liver you can get on a hook will work.