Squirrel Hunting ?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Cherokee, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Anyone kill any squirrels ? i havent seen many.

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I haven't got to go, yet. I am going to try to go this week some time. Today would be a good time to go in ky, if it don't storm. Good luck hunting!!

3. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Hav'nt been yet but I've been seeing alot.I'll have to give Squirtspop a call him and me try to go every year

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where I go to college would be ideal for squirrells. Acres and acres of college woods to walk in, and the campus squirells run right up to you. But hunting the squirrels would be almost too easy, heck some people almost hit the with oranges.

5. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    I went this evening with a buddy of mine.We took our 22's and we each shot one.

6. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    My son, grandson, and I went out this morning. We hunted about two hours and killed nine squirrels altogether. My son had his limit of five in 45 minutes. The squirrels were really active this morning - cutting so hard it sounded like rain drops hitting the leaves and ground. They were also vocal and we heard a lot of barking. One of the more active days that I have seen in a number of years.

7. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Here is the picture of the hunt that I talked about in my last post.

8. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Hope this works this time

9. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    If this doesn't work this time, I give up.

Attached Files:

10. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We have a good population of busy tails here on the farm. My partner and I have killed quite a few this year. I have seen and heard a lot of them from my tree stand since the opening of archery season here.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    YOu Got it bro Keep that young man hunting and fishing :cool2:

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice kill, I won't be able to get out untill the weekend following the national gathering. Our season starts the same weekend so I will have to miss squirel opener this year.
    Though I did find a new spot last year that is just crawling with the little buggers. There should be plenty there when I get back.

13. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    My son, grandson, and I hunted squirrels again this weekend and killed another nine. That makes 18 in two weekends for the three of us. My son got his limit (5), my grandson shot 3, and grandpa shot one. The old eyes and ears just can't compete with the younger ones. I have killed my share over the years and I just enjoy seening the "boys" have a good time and get some action. I am just happy that at 70 years of age I can still get out in the woods and enjoy the outdoors with the younger guys.

14. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    we have tons on our family farm.... i use a .22 rifle to knock 'em outta the trees... any1 have a quick way to skin them???????

15. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    A friend of mine and I went out this past weekend and shot 8 between the both of us. I took a walnut and scraped it with a pocket knife and they seemed to like the noise because they started moving amongst the trees when I did. I need to find a recipe for them. I've never eaten them. They just kinda seem like a big rat to me. If anyone has a good recipe let me know though. I'll try it once

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Young man, if you've never eaten Squirrel, you're missing out on the finest wild game there is.
    Here is how I cook them.
    First I cut all four legs off them, which leaves the back. (5 pcs.)
    sprinkle them with Greek Seasoning, and dust them in drakes mix. Fry them in cooking oil lightly on both sides til they are golden brown. Take a roasting pan, chop up some onion fine, and some mushrooms and some water. Put the squirrel pcs. on a bread rake in the roasting pan, make sure the water isn't touching the squirrel. Put in the oven at 325 degrees and roast for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs., depending on how old the squirrels are. Don't rush the process. When time is up, thicken the liquid for gravy, serve with potatoes and a veggie of choice and you will have a meal fit for a king.
    Try it, you'll like it.
    Sparky

P.S.
    Check your squirrel, to make sure the water hasn't boiled dry. If need add a little more.

17. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    A funny thing.. I used to LOVE to go squirrel hunting but then one trip out I found a lil' baby red squirrel that had been abandoned, and so I tucked him all nice and snug in a handkerchief and put him gently in my vest. Well, I took him home that evening and knowing that my wife LOVES animals (she has certificates on the matter), and started bottle feeding it right away (and boy was he ever hungry!) and soon he was all grown up and a beloved family pet!. (I have the room for a squirrel). So ever since we had a pet one, I could never draw a bead on one again! I just love em', and just like to watch em now! Nothin' against squirrel hunters, or nuthin' but, I just had to tell ya' all that... We called him "Squeakey" cause he would give out a really high pitched shrill when he was hungry..."Get up, It's time for squeaky's bottle!!!" LMAO