Squirrel Hunting?!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Nugget, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    Holy a-corns.
    You guys get to shoot squirrels? Thats awsome, I didn't even know you could kill them, let alone it be a sport.
    Please tell me what rifle you use and its load :big_smile: I so badly want to learn more about this awsome sport you guys have.

2. Nugget

Nugget New Member

State:
    Australia
    I've got to go to bed, or mum will cut sick at me in the morning. Please write everything you know about the sport and your rifle and its load. I want to learn everything about the sport.:big_smile:

G'night, have a good one.

3. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Nugget there is a lot of information about squirrel hunting, Ask your Mom if you can PM me your adres and I would be happy to send youa good book on it.
    Basicly we hunt squirrels to eat so we use a 2. rimfire or a shotgun if the leaves a stil on the trees.
    There are several types of squirrels we hunt but gray and fox are the primary ones.
    Some people are using air rifles where it is legal and also the newer 17 rimfires.I like a 2 rimfire and use a sub-sonic cartrige because it is quite and doesn't srir up the woods as much. The use of squirrel dogs is quite popular and a joy to hunt with they are very dedicated to finding the squirrels.
    Many of us who hunt eat most every thing we take minus the canines and properly preparied squirrel is very tasty, I hope this gives you some information.

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah Nugget squirrel hunting is a lot of fun. I use a Ruger 10/22 with a little 3x9x32 Simmons scope. Ussually 32 or 40 grain bullets. Bullets average 950 to 1050fps. A hollow point will really mess a squirrel up.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    All this talk of squirrel hunting is making me hungry.
    I can't wait till the season begins up here. I have about one more month to wait. In the mean time I'm going fishing.:smile2:

6. catfishkatmando

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I hear ya dave I am thinking of camping 2 or 3 weeks on a Wildlife managemnt area that is close to home, and hunt from camp.

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    In the moring is squirrel season trying to decide what to take the 10/22 rugter i traded for with 22 mini mags hollow points or the single barrle excel 16ga i bought a couple days ago or my rem model 1100 automatic.:big_smile:

8. charliep

charliep New Member

State:
    Texas
    Squirrel hunting!! Tons of fun and good to eat too!! Nugget I use a Marlin bolt action .22 with a 4X scope. I find an area, a comfortable spot to sit and wait, and pick em off when they show their little selves. After a bit, I move along to another area a do the same thing. Here in East Texas we have 2 varieties. Fox squirrels and cat squirrels. Cat squirrels are referred to as grays in other areas.
    charliep

9. catfishkatmando

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Cheroke takem both twice the fun.

10. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I used a 10/22 Ruger for many years loaded with solid nose bullets. Then I switched to a model 552 Remington, capable of shooting .22 short, long, or long rifle cartridges. I took particular delight in getting close enough to consistently drop them with the .22 short. I don't feel the ultra velocity bullets were necessary to kill squirrels. I know a lot of you are going to say shoot for the head, but I didn't . I tried to shoot thru the ribs to save the head for the pot. I'm one of evidently a small percentage of people who eat squirrel brains . My 552 is extremely accurate, 20 shots can be covered with a quarter at 50 yards if I do my part. It is topped with an old Tasco 4X32 scope.

11. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    most people use a 22 rimfire rifle. in kentucky where i leave, almost every one uses a marlin model 60 or a ruger 10/22. both guns are great! as for the sheels to use, it depends on the gun. all guns shoot alittle different. myself, i always use the remington or winchester cheap-o's.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    As Ive gotton older I like sqirrell hunting as much if not more than deer hunting. We set up a squirrell camp just like we do for deer camp. When we are after limits early in the season when the leaves are thick we use shotguns. As the leaves fall we switch to 22 rifles with a good scope and take head shots only. Its a lot of fun and they are excellent eating.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    That reminds me of a story of when I first started hunting. Me and a friend went hunting at his grandfathers farm. Well we went out popped a few squirrels and enjoyed some barley pops before calling it a night. Early the next morning we woke to a big breakfast with scrambled eggs. I noticed they tasted different and so did my friend, eventually he said something. His grandpa said something about knowledge eating knowledge and I got the hint. I told my buddy and he went and barfed. I didnt really like the taste though but I did finish them.

I used to use a 12 gauge shotgun or a 410 but thats a bit overkill. Though it is fun to blast them while they are trying to run from you. Lately Ive been wanting to switch to my Ruger 10/22. Its alot lighter.

14. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Holy Cow! Terry you have the same setup as I do. I do switch to a .32 cal muzzle loader after I bag 40 squirrels.
    Sparky