Squirrel hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by 1sporticus, Nov 25, 2009.

What do you use to squirrel hunt

1. 22

2. shotgun

3. bow

4. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    How many of you use a 22, shotgun, bow, or other to kill squirrels for the table?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I usually take my shotgun squirrel hunting. This probably has more to do with a couple of factors:'

-I'm usually rabbit hunting when i'm killing squirrels
    - I hunt squirrels on public land a lot, and you cant use rifles there (where i'm at anyways)

I also like that i dont hafta worry about where that bullet will land if i miss the tree branch/trunk. I dont hunt close enough to houses to worry about where the pellets are falling.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I've used all three at different times of the year. I use a bow when hunting deer in the early archery season and a squirrel presents an easy shot, a shotgun when there's still leaves on the trees and a .22 when the leaves drop. My favorite is still hunting through the woods with a 20 gauge over/under with No. 6 shot. Lots of fun.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    love the old 22

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    just depends for me, when im deer hunting i always have a "squirl arrow" as we call them. but i marked .22 and Shotgun because thats what i actually squirl hunt with. i like a .22 when the leaves come off and i am still hunting for them. i actually like to hunt with a .22 pistol a lot when i am still hunting and have them treed close by. just adds to the challenge. however when the leaves are on or i am walking and hunting i like to use a shotgun. for a long time i used a 12 gauge pump, but i have used and really like using my .410 over/under. adds to the challenge. my fav way to hunt them is walking around on the fourwheeler paths slowly. lets me scout for deer and when one takes off on the ground makes for a fun shot, and i can kill some rabbits that way while im out there.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I had squirrel for the first time last year and it was delicious!

A 22 is sufficient for those critters.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use a .22 and a shotgun for squirrels. It depends on how many leaves
    are on the trees.

8. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use shotgun, but after the last one I shot I'm thinking of using a 30/06. I hit it square and fair from about twenty yards, it dropped thirty feet to the floor, got up and barked at me before disappearing into the woods.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Shotgun early when all the leaves are still on the trees, then switch the the 22 magnum and only take head shots. Love to hunt squirrells more than deer these days.

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I briefly replaced my trusted .22 with a .17, but that didn't work too well. The .17 did way too much damage on exit, so I went back to old reliable.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use Hi Brass no 5 pellet 1 ounce loads this is my fav tree rat load. I have greys and big bottom reds I hunt. The no 5 shot seem tot put em down good. Dont use the light no 8 or 7 1/2 dove loads They dont deliver enough kill power past 15 yards. Ideal is high brass No 6 to No 4 loads used for pheasant ect.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use a 12 or 20 gauge loaded with 6's early, which is usually the only time i get to hunt squirrels. when i lived closer to where i could hunt, i would use a .22 almost all the time.

13. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Winchester Model 12, Rem 870, in 12 ga. and love the Winchester model 37 in 12 or 16ga. #5 Remington hi brass

14. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i'll use a 22 but will take out the 410 shotgun at times

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    The reason I had posted this, is my wife is a fairly new hunter, and she is trying her hand at squirrel hunting. I had bought her a 22 rifle a few years ago for plinking, and she wants to use it for squirrel hunting. While I don't have a problem using a 22 myself, I'm kind of hesitant to turn her loose with a 22, just because she isn't an experienced hunter/shooter. I'm also concerned that she might have a wild shot or 2 and be sending lead out into the skyways. So what do you think? Later Andy

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Andy,A little time spent on hunter ED,will go a long ways,if ya feel that strongly,give her a scattergun. I think a few tips on downrange lead and she'll be fine tho.

17. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I shot a squirrel once. I skinned it my mom cooked it and is was so disgusting. It still looked like a squirrel. Had little hairs that stayed attached and tasted like acorns. EEEEEWWWWW:smile2:

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Richard, I have sent her to Hunter safety course, and have taken her to the range, as a matter of fact, we are going yet today and shoot some. Anyway I'm probably over reacting, but I don't want anything to happen to turn her off of hunting. So far she has done very well, and she even cleans her own game. However I keep getting asked about the 22 and squirrel hunting, so I might just relent some after a while. Later Andy

19. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    My favorite is using a ruger 77/22 with a scope after the leaves come down.I hardly ever do any early season hunting anymore but when I do I use a winchester model 12 in 12 guage.I use the no. 6 pheasant loads.

20. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well we just came back from the range, and she is on paper at 25/50 yards, but not consistently. I have told her that she needs more practice, and also how to watch out for down range lead also. I think all she really needs is more practice time. I have her shooting 2 Mossberg 500 20 guages, one with a smooth bore, and one with a slug barrel. I think she can kill a deer at 100 yards, but I had her shooting about 50 rounds thru her slug barrel today, just to get her seasoned a bit. Anyway I do believe she will be able to use her 22 for squirrels, but she needs more range time, but then again don't we all. Later Andy