Squirrel hunters, Favorite guns? why?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by backwoodsman68geric, Aug 3, 2009.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thought I'd get as conversation going. I like a 20 ga. early in the season until the leaves drop some. After Sep.1st we switch to .22's mainly. Ive used a .22 magnum before if we're in an area that is wide open and the tree rats hang around up in the tops of big oaks etc. Ive used and like all kinds of actions ie: single shot, pumps, autos, lever actons. I bought 3 new semi auto .22's last spring on sale Im planning on setting up for squirrels. Mossberg Plinkster, Remington mod.597 and Savage. Im new to those 3, anyone ever use any of'em or have any insight to which is better? I used an SKB mod500 20ga for almost 2 decades and a Bingham Squires semi auto.22 and Marlin mod 39 lever action .22. but the Bingham is the only one left. I bought a Mossberg 20ga mod500 3 years ago for squirrels and a backup deer gun and its really been a good one.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Old guns LOL ! Western Field mod 30 16g. and a Winchester mod 50 12g. Theese guns were giving to me from generations gone by and have put many rabbits and squirrells in the game bag .:wink:

3. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I squirrel hunt A LOT, but I don't still hunt, I raise squirrel dogs. My gun of chioce is a 20 ga pump, currently using a Mossberg 500. I shoot a scatter gun because I am shooting running squirrels a lot of the time and I don't like to let them get away. I have to admit I like the smell of gun powder and don't mind pulling the trigger either. If I haven't gone through at least a box of shells, its been a dull hunt :smile2:. Still hunting I used to primarily use a scoped .22 semi auto, used a Marlin model 60 for years, switch to a ruger 10/22 for a little bit, but my dad has it now.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bolt action 410 shotgun or 22 if far away from homes.

5. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    ruger 77/22 with a 3-9x40 scope subsonic ammo:roll_eyes:

6. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I had a beagle/spitz that loved to chase squirrels when I was a kid. I took alot of squirrels over it and a fair share of coons and possums too. It thought it was a 100 saint bernard but in reality was about 20 lbs,lol. I was always scared a coon would drop out and hurt him but none ever did.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I prefer to use my marlin 22 lr with 3x9 variable scope. Or my good ole' remington 20 ga. pump.:cool2:

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I like to use a winchester model 12 early in the season , it has a 26 barrel with a simmonds vent rib and a modified choke.After the leaves fall and I still hunt, I use a ruger 77/22 with a 3x9 bushnell.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always like squirrel hunting with a Browning 22 short only. Also a Stevens 410 Double barrel. No longer able to hunt. Miss it.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    h and r single 20 gauge when walking.mod 1400 win.12 gauge when road hunting and a 10/22 ruger for both.i to use curs for hunting.hunting without a good dog is just killing to me.

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I like to still hunt with my 552 speedmaster remington. If I am float
    hunting or stalking I use a 12 guage pump or auto. I use to hunt with
    a 20 single barrel but I have trouble loosing sight of the squirrel when it
    was jumping and running and I am reloading these days. I don't think
    squirrels have changed. LOL. I think I am not as fast as I once was and
    I can't see quite as good as I once did.

12. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i use my l.c. smith side by side for everything, my dad got it for me as a welcome home gift after my last tour in iraq, and after shooting it i fell in love with it, dont even use my mossberg anymore

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't have the oppurtunity to ever hunt squrril,But if I did it would be with my old marlin/glenfield model 25, 22 LR,or my mossberg mod 500 410. They are both like an extension of my arm.:wink:

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Some of you guys are shooting some nice old guns. I shoot and old ruger 10/22 with a 3x9 scope. Dang squirrles are eatin my green maters and there is a pine in the back yard that they are shreddin the burrs on it. The mater eatin is fixin to stop one way or the other:wink: It's too warm for me to hunt just yet but if he falls in the yard i can get the bark knocked off of it pretty quik.Fryed squirrle and taters sounds good to me.

15. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use a savage 22 410 over-under..........best of both worlds.

bill.

16. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Ruger 10/22 or the Remington 870 depending on where I'm hunting.

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Remington 30-06 ....lol just joking

I have a over and under 22 / 410 of my fathers he left me that I use

18. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    A ruger 10/22 is a good all around 22. I used to use one to rabbit hunt running them with beagals. Hitting a moving target with a 22 is fun and in time it looks impressive.

But no one seems to small game hunt in OK anymore.

19. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i use a henry lever 22lr,with 3x9x40 bushnell scope.very accurate rifle.it shoots under 1/2 inch at 40 yrds.the best lever ive ever owned.:wink:

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    any of my 12 or 20 gauge pumps early, then a little later my marlin 881 bolt action. all squirrel hunting is a blast!