Squirrel Gun

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Chance, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Chance

Chance New Member

State:
    United states
    What your squirrel gun mine is a Marlin 925 with a BSA scope on it

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    marlin here too. bolt action 22 lr. 3-9 scope.

3. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    I have a ruger 1022 that is tricked out. I shoot NRA smallbore 3 & 4 position matches with it. It can weigh 7.75 pounds when hunting and 9.5 during competitions. Shooting prone with a sling, I have "cleaned" the 50 yard target several times. The X ring on these targets is .396 inches in diameter.
    have shot 19 x's out of 20 posible several times. Those guys shooting those $2500.00 Ansutz rifles just shake their heads.
    I use a BSA 12-36 power scope hunting and in the "any sight" portions of the smallbore matches. I have front and rear apeture sights for the "irons" portion of the matches. The front apeture is mounted on a extension tube, the distance from the front to rear sight is 42 inches. It looks like a space gun.
    Both the scope and the apeture sights are on quick release mounts. I can replace either in a matter of minutes and not have more than a 1/4 minute of adjustments on the irons, and usually no adjustments on the scope.
    I use a butler creek bull barrel. It didn't shoot worth a hoot when I first got it. I started lapping the barrel with JB's Bore paste. It will hold under .300 inch groups @ 50 yards ( 5 shots ) and have had 5 shot groups @ 100 yards under 5/8 inch.I am a toolmaker, I took the bolt and ground the face of the bolt to tighten up the headspace, and did my own trigger job with a trigger stop. It breaks very clean @ 2 pounds. The barrel was a fluted model, I set it up and milled the flutes larger to make the 8 pound or less required for NRA "Light Rifle" compititiions. I have weights I can put in the stock and on the accessory rail for the position matches.
    In the woods, it is very easy to carry in its "hunting" configuration.
    I fabricated a "bolt stop" that allows me to shoot "shorts" single action. ( must manually operate bolt each shot ) shooting those shorts, it is very quiet. at least 98% are head shots.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Remingtion 597 with a heavy barrell and a 3-9x scope. It's never failed me on accuracy when I do my part.

5. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Ruger 10/22 with a Clark barrel. Shoot mostly CCI Small Game Bullets and Winchester Power Points. 4-16X Tasco scope. Deadly. God bless.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    marlin auto 22 with 3-9 scope.

7. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ruger 77/22 with 3X9 Swift. Early Season (AUG), I will break out the 870.

8. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I do pretty good with an air gun. A Beeman R-9 with a 4x12 scope (using Beeman Kodiak .20 pellets). I also have a Winchester heavy barrel model 52 but it's just too darn heavy to carry around. Don't laugh at the airgun. It has plenty of punch out to 30 yards or so, it's VERY accurate, doesn't make very much noise, ammo is cheap and you don't have to clean it nearly as much....

(ps. the Winchester loves CCI Green dots!)

Bob..

9. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    They claim that R-9 can shoot 0.150 inch center to center.
    It looks like a really nice piece of work.
    It is probably a fun thing to shoot.
    With accuracy like that, how many eye shots do you get?

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mossberg 12 gauge, full choke.

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ruger 10/22 works great for me.We have alot of Squirrels here in Iowa and I'm always feeding them ear corn and cookies so the Wife ask me one day why I was always feeding them?So I told her I'ts makes them Big and fat and easyer to hit with a pellet gun(bigger target) Really pised her off. So I decided from now on I won't tell her all my hunting secrets! Bigcatman0816.:smile2:

12. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    The R-9 can do head-shots all day. I once set up a target in the yard with a bulls-eye about the size of a dime at 25 yards. From a rest, I seldom missed. The R-9 is considered an all-arounder, some of the real "hunting" airguns are much more powerful. At first I was sceptical, until I started punching holes clear thru a 1/2 inch pine board at about 50 ft. The darn things are wicked.....(and just think, very little meat damage with head shots.)

Later..
    Bob

13. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    CZ 452 American in.22 Long Rifle with a BSA 12x36 scope with mil dot reticle. Shooting off the bench, I once made a head shot on a rabbit at 170 yards with my first shot. I can shoot dimes at 100 yards easy with this gun. I use Remington Subsonic ammunition in this gun because at longer ranges subsonic ammunition doesn't seem to tumble as bad .

14. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Try using a 32cal muzzle loader, kentuckyrifle style .You have to forgo the brains and eggs cause head shoots are required,If you like squirrels rice.
    be well crmule:big_smile:

15. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    marlin bolt action 22. 3x9 bushnell scope

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I like using my 870 express 12 guage. Used to use a factory ruger 10/22 but with all the development going on a .22 isnt the best choice.

17. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ha you want me to pick ONE gun?!?!?!?!

1) i mainly use a marlin bolt action lr with a 3 - 9 power scope

2.) my mosberg .410 shotgun

3.) my double barel remington spartan with light loads

4.) 12 gauge with 00 Buckshot at point blank (did it!!!!!)

5.) my fathers .243 (there was one WWWWWAAAAAYYYYY out their but we got em!!!!!!!)

6.) my pellet gun (the shadow thats whats its called from gamo)

18. AllenM

AllenM Guest

All I have is a Remington AirMaster77. It'll take a squirrel out real nice. I just don't know where I can go hunting with it around here, and I got a question for all you squirrel hunters:

The grey tree squirrels are good eating as I recall, but I don't know if ground squirrels are any good. Also, what about racoons? I see that a number of people hunt them and we got lots of them around here, but are they good eating?

19. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    my granddaddy's ol 410.

20. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i used to use a marlin lever action 39 golden M ,but with my eyes in the shape there in now i use my franchi 20ga with skeet barrel it reaches out there and dont weigh 5 lb so its easy to pack long ways