Squirrel Dogs or Running Dogs Its Hunting Just the Same

Discussion in 'Outdoor Adventures' started by Stlnifr, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Squirrel Dogs or Running Dogs Its Hunting Just the Same

Here is a story that was sent to me by my good friend Billy Ainsworth from Magnolia, Arkansas. I haven’t talked to him in about a year and was delighted to hear from him. Also I am all ways willing to sit and listen to one of his hunting adventures whether it is with his American Squirrel Dogs, his running dogs or his yard dogs. For I will assure you there is all ways excitement in this mans hunting adventures. Sit back, relax and enjoy.

This is the story as he related it to me: Haven't been in the woods any lately. This is the last week for a while and today was a pretty day but didn't get a chance to go. Too much running around to do. I do hope to get another doe or something before it is over though. This one here has a real story. But first let me do you a little catching up. We have had a pretty good season so far. We have skinned 12 in the tree here in the yard. That includes my one, Garry 2, my preacher 2 and the 2 guys from south La. the rest,,,,,,,,and,,,,,,,, oh yes,,,,,Dean one......Garry didn't want to tag the little buck he killed muzzle load so Dean checked it. The south La. boys have these 100 acres around the corner here leased and they just hunted a couple weekends and tagged out. They come in here one Saturday morning with both of them and 3 deer on a 4 wheeler. Never seen anything like it. One was a 7-point pretty nice buck, a doe and a nubbin head. They went back that evening and killed another doe. One had already killed a nice 6 pointer the first Saturday I didn't know it but on the 3-day out of state license you are only allowed one deer. A 5-day is 2 deer limit. I had always thought that you could kill the full limit with either one of those licenses. Another thing I don't know about is how some are so lucky. Course it may be skill instead of luck. You know the short stand in the back where James killed them 2 bucks in 2 days and one of them was a big one. Well, hasn't anybody been hunting back there since and that has been about 3 years. My preacher didn't have a place to hunt and didn't want to pay to get on a lease, so I told him that I had plenty of hunting room, to come on and join Garry and me. He has an old man climbing stand and was wanting me to find a tree for him, but there are not any good places around here for that, so the first morning he went with us to over where Garry hunts across Village creek and he saw a couple deer and one with horns but didn't get a shot. Then the next morning he was late and Garry was done gone so I told him to go back and hunt on the short stand. I went to another spot and when I come in at 9 his 4 wheeler was parked in the yard with a 6-point buck on it. He had it killed by 7:30. Then he come back the next Saturday and brought his 10-year-old girl with him and went back to the same stand. By 7:30 she was done getting ready to come to the house and he was trying to keep her quiet and looked down the right of way to the east and there stood a buck hooking a limb. He shot it dead and come to the house.

Now, let me get back to the story. It comes between the 2 that he killed. He comes back on Wednesday when he was out for Thanksgiving and was in that little stand about 7 and heard this grunting coming through the woods. He couldn't tell just which way he was coming from and hadn't got his gun ready. Then about 20 yards to the east he walked out into the right of way and started walking away from him. He couldn't get a shot and when the deer got about 50 yards away he stopped and was barley turned a little to the left. He shot and the deer ran off. He went there and the buck had stopped at a scrape, and he couldn't find any blood or anything. He was pretty sure he had hit him. He comes to the house and got me and we took a couple of my yard dogs and went back. He said he was aiming at his neck. When he showed me, which way he ran the dogs got to smelling and I knew that they were smelling blood. We kept going the way the dogs went and started seeing blood but I had an idea that he wasn't hit in the right place. The dogs disappeared and we kept following the blood and when they come back they were wet and I knew that they had been across the creek. We went on to the creek and looked up and down a while and the dogs didn't act like they knew anything so we called it off. We went back by the scrape where he shot him and we found several pieces of big round bone, so I told him that he had hit him in the leg below the shoulder blade where the bone was big and round. Boy, this is getting long but it worth it.........Then,,,,,,, a week later,,,,,,, the next Wednesday morning, I was going to go to Garland City with Clyde to get some barrels of corn. I was up and out early, about 6. Not a dog in the yard. That is not unusual in the mornings for they like to go hunting, but I hardly ever hear them barking at anything. I was behind the house and I could barely hear them barking and they were looking at something. I knew that and had an idea that it was the crippled buck. But I couldn't go to them. Clyde come along and we went, got trailer load of barrels of corn, and back. It is now around 10. Still no dogs. I told Dean that I was going to find them dogs that they had caught something. I put on my bran new snake boots and my orange coveralls and got on 4 wheeler and took off to the north. I knew which direction but couldn't hear them. I figured that if they had done killed him and I got close enough for them to hear me that they would come to me and I would follow them back. I also figured that I should stay in the woods fairly close to the creek. I had never been up through those woods on 4 wheeler before but it wasn't too bad. I would ride a little and stop and listen and call. I got about half way up through the woods to the pipeline up there and barely heard them. But not being able to tell exactly where they were, but I still kept going north. I come out on the pipeline on top of that hill up from the creek and killed motor and there they were, right down in the creek above the pipeline. They were still looking at something. My adrelin was getting up about now and away I took. I went down to the creek and started up through an old clear cut and you know what that is. It was done too rough for 4 wheeler so I killed it and started busting brush and briars. About 200 yards farther I began to see dogs. They were coming to me and going back. That gives me new energy. I finally got to where they were. About 12 dogs on both sides of the creek banks. I looked in the creek and there in belly deep water backed up to some tree roots in the bank was the big one. Now here I am with nothing to kill him with. No gun, no knife, not even a pine knot. But I ain't going to come back empty handed with that many dogs. I got on up there and them dogs begin to bailing off in that deep water and the buck broke and started running up the creek bed. When he got in the shallow water, them dogs begin to get in on him. They ran him a little and then when they all ganged up on him, he had to go down. I was still on the bank staying up with them and when they got him down in about half knee deep water I saw that they wasn't going to be able to kill him. He was still doing a pretty good job of fighting them off. It was pretty cold and besides I didn't want to get my bran new snake boots wet on the inside. But I knew that it wasn't but one-way. I eased out in the water very careful and got in front of his head and grabbed a horn in each hand and soused his nose down in the sand in the creek bottom. I didn't have very much pressure on him cause it was easy. I said look here I going to have this thing in a little bit. But,,,,,,,,,when he decided that he needed a little breath of fresh air,,,,,,,he come alive. He went to trying to get up and slinging his head from side to side and was flopping me around like miss muppet. But,,,,,,,I had a good hold and wasn't going to let go. and beside he didn't know that I had just a little bit more. Now he’s done got me wet and water in my boots,,,,,,, so I just applied more pressure and got on top on his head, Them dogs were working on holding him down too. The next time he wanted air I didn't let him get his head up and then it wasn't long till he was lying on his side. Now my 4 wheeler back nearly to the pipeline and dead deer in creek. To get him home,,, I still got work to do. So I walk back to 4 wheeler and get on it and with a little more determination, I bulldoze on through them briars. Now when I get back to the deer......I haven’t got no rope, no strap of any kind or even a bungee cord. Anyway I'm still going to bring him home cause now I got too much invested. The hardest part of this whole story was pulling him up a wet creek bank. I grabbed a horn in my hand and got myself into double low 4-wheel drive and finally pulled him out. I hooked one horn over the back rack and stuck a tine under a cross piece and got on that 4 wheeler and brung that thing on home. This is a true story and as near as the way that it happened, hope you enjoy.

Thanks for reading and keep those pups in the woods and keep them looking up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.