Squirrel cleaning. HELP!

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Believer, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I hadn't cleaned squirrels in years until this year and evidently i've forgotten how. So far I have killed 4. 1 on my 1st outing and 3 more today. Man i'm screwing up bad! I keep pulling the tails off. What am I doing wrong? How should I be doing these critters????:surrender:

Thanks!

Eric

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    take your knife and cut a slit across their back just thru the skin pinch each side of the slit tightly and pull apart it should rip skin all the way round keep pullin and they will skin right out all the way to feat then cut at wrists and neck and tail then gut , save them guts channel cats love them . good luck

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Great Tip Ka_c4,reps To You Brother

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    what do you hunt squerils with ? i prefer a 22 one shot in the head sniper style

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Take and cut a slit across under the tail Put your foot on his tail then pull Eric if you are doing it this way you prob. are not cutting him to high or not deep enough HAPPY HUNTING:big_smile_2:

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    That's the way I was taught. Works very well & fast:wink:

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Me too. Works even better w/2 people. Tug of war.

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    That is exactly what I do on rabbits, but I had never considered it on squirrels since the skin is so much tougher to remove on squirrels.
    I'll try it though. It can't be any worse than what i've been doing. I don't know if i'll ever get all the little hairs off of thise darn things.

Eric

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've been cutting all the way through the base of the tail, but not the skin. The problem is most of the time when i pull the tail just slides right out from under my boot or the tail comes off. Then i'm stuck peeling a little at a time and that is a pain in the back side not to mention you end up with a lot of little hairs on the meat which are nearly impossible to get off. :sad2:

10. Keyaawww, dis is da way I was taught to skin da squirrells. but I go down da back just a little and passe' mon knife just in front da back legs goin to da belly, den step on da tail and pull bot legs.... usually comes out almost hairless...

11. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    I was taught by my grandfather to cut a slit on the top of the front shoulder and the skin comes off good ,also if you soak the squirrel in water real good first there is almost no hair to contend with,hope this helps you out

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Eric, When I used to skin them tree rats I'd make a cut just under the tail then slit it down both back legs a little. That way your not as apt to pull the tail off.Just pull slow and steady ,you should be ok. Good Luck.

13. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Make sure when cutting thru the base of the tail that you cut thru the two tendens if you dont then you will pull the tail off and also use the heel of your boot.Another trick I use I will put the tail on a small rock or a small limb then put my heel on the tail and pull.Hope this helps ya out.

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

This is the part you're missing Eric. You got to make this cut and be careful not to cut into the belly cavity. I hate cleaning squirrels by myself, it's so much easier with someone to help.

st